Name the isses...

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is this a 100 amp panel with a 100 amp subpanel? or

two 100 amp panels drawing 200 amps from the service line? or

two 100 amp panels drawing 100 amps each? or

Just FUBAR?icon_wink.gif

Sorry the pics are small. I resized and didn't keep the original.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpope

If those are parallel service panels Kevin, where do those other conductors go that are double lugged with the SEC? Is there yet another panel board down stream?

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

jpope wrote:
If those are parallel service panels Kevin, where do those other conductors go that are double lugged with the SEC? Is there yet another panel board down stream?

No...the double lugged SEC goes to the 100amp breakered panel on the left.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpope

Well isn’t that special. . .

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Hard to tell from the small pics, but it looks like twin 100A service panels … which would draw 200A on the service feeders.

The double lug feeders at the main lugs of the panel on the right is an issue, and make sure the SE wires coming in the house are large enough for 200A if the setup is how it looks and described. Would be 4/0 AL for 200A since it appears to be aluminum SE wires (looks a little small). Also make sure they didn't mix AL and CU feeder wires (e.g. AL service feeders, and CU taps to the second panel).

Might have been an original 100A service/panel on the left (seems to be an inspection sticker on that one), and they may have just added another panel without a permit or upgrading the feeders (and the meter/drop also if needed) ... ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

JMO & 2-nickels ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I see 2 issues and possibly a 3d. The double lug is simply wrong, the service conductor to the first panel should be sized for 200a (2/0 cu or 4/0 al). Both panels should be made up as services (bonded neutral)

The correct way to do this is with a listed splicing device. Easy fix if the double lug is the only problem.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Kevin,

I am with the improper installation theory. The wires should not have been tapped on the main lugs to the first panel, they should have been running off a double pole breaker installed in the first panel. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

God knows why they were so creative...but hey....who the HE** am I!

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

If they are using this as a sub panel with 100a total service it needs to be connected to the load side of the disconnect. This looks like 2 service panels with 200a total service.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Greg,

I do agree with you that with the two panels being connected in this manner, the possible total amperage is 200. Having a load calculation performed and connecting the second panel properly would make this installation better and even code compliant. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

I say that because it does not look to me like the wire entering the lugs on the first panel are sized for 200 amps, nor are the wires running to the second panel.

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

If they are feeding 2 100a panels the conductors to each panel only have to be good for 100a but the service to the tap needs to be 200. The double lug on the main breaker of #1 is wrong but if this was a 2 hole lug the wire between them only has to be 100a.

You could also use a 3 hole tap device. (fat wire feeding 2 smaller ones).