National Fire Safety

Originally Posted By: gjohnson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is a new program that is being worked on by myself and Dan Frend. More details will be available soon. The program should involve some really good fire safety training being made available to us. And also making the homes our clients are buying a safer place.

PRESS RELEASE *Do not release*

The National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI), The NACHI Foundation, and The United States Fire Administration (division of FEMA) are partnering together in an effort to reduce the number of fire deaths in homes across the country. With the drastic rise in fire deaths in the home this year, a concerted effort must be made to educate the public on fire safety. NACHI and its partners are planning a number of initiatives to assist with this.

The NACHI foundation has started a Fire Safety Fund to help raise funds to support this broad initiative. Donations to this fund will be used exclusively to help our partners increase fire safety in homes around the country. All donations to this fund are fully tax deductible. Please send all donations to:

The NACHI Foundation
P.O. Box 722
Millersville, MD 21108

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Gary:

This is great.

Once you get all the info, email me and I'll build a formal press-release.

Nick

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Just a note, if anyone has any questions about this, you can direct them to me as I am the primary contact with the above agencies. I can tell you all that the agencies are eager to get started and the work with US Fire Admin(FEMA) is a national effort and is great National PR for NACHI. We will be the exclusive partner on several initiatives with them.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

You might get additional information here:

http://www.nfpa.org/Education/Index.asp

I hope this helps.

A must read:

http://www.nfpa.org/Research/NFPAFactSheets/NFPAFactSheets.asp

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Mike those are great links, I added them to my Favorites folder. icon_cool.gif

Bob (AKA iwire)

ECN Discussion Forums

Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: roconnor

which I think every HI should read and remember: CLICK HERE

This is one that really jumps out at me:

Quote:
Only one-fifth of the home fire deaths from 1989-1998 were caused by fires in which a smoke alarm was present and operated.

IMHO, one of the best things an HI can recommend for their clients safety is to install ALL NEW smoke, CO, and gas detectors in ALL of the recommended locations per current safety standards.

Just my 2-nickles

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

I fully agree, that being said one of the intial things we are working on is a presentation to the USFA of smoke alarms for the hearing impaired. The local MD State Fire Marshals office is having a number of media covered events on March 20 to push a year round awareness rather than just every October and I am working with them on the possibility of presenting these on that date at one of the events.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: mrose

can you provide more information on smoke detectors for the hearing impaired? A good friend of mine teaches the children with auditory disabilities.

Thanks,

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

I am probably going to get some through the MD Fire Marshal at a lower than retail price. I think the retail at $150 and they get them for $90. Once i get info, I will get it out to you and help you purchase if necessary. If you can get me an idea of how many they would need, we can see about donating some. PM me more info.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

Also, I will be talking with someone from the National State Fire Marshal’s Association (?) about individual area needs. I fanyone would be willing to work on needs in their areas for us to help out with, let me know and I will have the representatives from tat region contact you. Let me remind everyone that this is a national effort and fire safety is a vital part of our work.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

And to add to the links you guys gave above (which I added to my favorites too):

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/inside-usfa/media/2004releases/030404.shtm

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/sight.pdf

The above document states:
Quote:
The use of smoke alarms must be strongly advocated. The
U.S. Fire Administration considers smoke alarms to be the single
most important piece of fire safety technology employed today. The
importance of early recognition of a fire cannot be stressed enough
in populations where physical limitations may increase the time
needed to safely exit a burning building.

And one that I think shows a great reason we should be involved. How many of you or your clients have young children?

http://www.usfa.fema.gov/inside-usfa/media/2003releases/03-081303.shtm

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Hi Guys. Lets say that I am very excited by the activity on this thread.

Here are the goals that The NACHI Foundation has in this project:

1.) Education - We have a great oppurtunity to educate the public on the aspect of fire safety for their new homes. One of the plans is to get a co-branded NACHI, FEMA brochure that we can give out at insepctions and show to home buyers.

2.) Education for our inspectors - Daniel Frend is going to work with FEMAs National Fire Safety group to get training for our inspectors that would count as CEUs and could be given at Chapter meetings.

3.) Purchase and Donation of Smoke detectors and fire safety items for residential houses - There are several areas this would help. One being that most Fire Departments and Agencies typically run out of money for these things before half the year is up. And they can not solicite funds from the public because any funds that go to them from the public go into a specific fund. From reading and talking with Dan, it has been noted that one of the biggest areas is Alarms for the hearing imparied. The Foundation will look into purchasing some of these and if you are in need of them you can contact Dan or Myself and we can get them.

One of the primary purposes of the Foundation is to give back to our communities and to make a difference. This is one of the best things I can see us doing to try and make a difference. If our actions prevented one family from being killed in a fire over the next year. That would make all the difference in the world.

Remember this is a national problem that affects every region. This is a national program that is going to be sponsored by the Foundation. I hope to have more soon.

--
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

ATTENTION

The NACHI Foundation will present a donation of smoke alarms for the deaf and hearing impaired to United States Fire Administration(part of FEMA) officials on March 20, 2004 at an event sponsored by the Maryland Fire Marshal and Maryland Firemen's Association in Frederick, MD near the USFA(FEMA) Headquarters. This presentation will have media coverage.

The decision to present these on this day is to tie in with a "Spring Into Action Day" to promote fire safety year round and slow the sharp climb in fire deaths nationwide. There is a large demand nationwide for these alarms. They retail for nearly $150 so it is hard for those needing them to have them. Our donation will help by allowing free access to the part of the population in need.

Quote:
TThere are 28 million deaf and hard of hearing Americans who are unable to rely on the life-saving warning
sound of a working smoke alarm to alert them of fire. It is crucial that this audience become aware
of the availability of flashing or vibrating smoke alarms, and the importance of proper escape planning.

The above quote is from the United States Fire Administration and shows the importance of these devices.

I encourage all inspectors to step up and show NACHI's, and the industry's, dedication to safety in the homes we inspect. Please send any donations to the NACHI foundation as posted above. Gary will follow up briefly with a PayPal account. The more we recieve before the 20th, the better we can give at the event being held for our gift.

This event will be a precurser to our efforts across the nation. So continued donations are needed. Remember all donations are FULLY tax deductible, they help NACHI by showing our dedication, and show our clients that we really do care. And every little bit helps. Even if you can only send $30, that is great.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=gjohnson%40cmhionline.com&item_name=The+NACHI+Foundation&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD&lc=US

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: roconnor

What about NACHI also getting involved with donating standard smoke detectors (to state fire department associations?) for poor families that may not be able to afford them. I think that would make quite a statement.

The NFPA link I referenced indicates that historically 80% of home fire deaths occur in homes without a working smoke detector. And small children are at twice the risk of adults.

Just my 2-nickles

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Robert,

That is on my list also... I think that is a definate good statement to make.

--
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

We can definitely help with that Robert. But we need to gather more info on that. Those detectors cost less than $5 a piece at the rate the goverment buys them. And fire departments offer them for free already and get them from Uncle Sam. I am not sure that giving them would help as it is already a funded initiative. But I will talk to the USFA rep about it when I meet with him next week. But maybe we can help by cutting out the middle man and having some available from NACHI Foundation directly to at need families.

And the BIGGEST priorities on a NATIONALlevel, after my meeting with officials today: 1. smoke alarms 2. Reaching the at risk populations (particularly children, eldery, and disabled) 3. Promoting sprinkler systems (absolutely NO deaths in sprinkler mandated homes)

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

All I can say is that I am damned proud to be a part of this association. As a former volunteer firefighter, this is especially near and dear to me.

Great job, guys

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Thanks Joe…

Kind words are alway appreciated...

--
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: psabados

Gary & Dan

Great work guys, I will have a check out for 50.00 At least we can get this thing started and maybe get a few of these life saving devices out to the people that really need them.

Paul
![](upload://hHR6cRItNRb3cJ94MVYyIEOVQ0b.gif) Thats the only fire that shouldn't take these people by surprise!