National Home Inspection Exam

Originally Posted By: Jason Van Loo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Any advice for someone new to the field concerning tips or reference materials to help pass the National Home Inspection Exam?

I would appreciate any tips.....

thanks

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

http://www.nachi.org/dumbest.htm

Nick

Hey Nick,

I am not a member and I have taken your test but keep on scoring between 69-71. I just can't seem to get above that.... but anyway's i am not a full member so I can't view the dumbest questions.

Jason:

It is very forthcoming of you to admit you can't pass our exam. Very few who fail, admit it. Unfortunately I am forced to tell you the same thing I've had to tell several thousand others like you: You can't join NACHI.

You can still join one of the run-of-the-mill associations that take everyone, like ASHI. Their web site is www.ashi.com. Perhaps at this novice stage of your inspection career, ASHI is a more appropriate option.

Nick

That is not very encouraging. I was not asking to join but letting you know I could not view the dumbest questions. As far as the test, I just finished my school and started my parallel inspections. In your position I would not go telling people to join other organizations just because they have not passed your exam. I would think that you should encourage people to keep on hitting the books and studying so they can ultimately become members of NACHI.

Jason:

You're right. Keep hitting the books and studying so you can ultimately become a member of NACHI.

I'm sorry I used your post to take a little wack at ASHI. I should have been more thoughtful.

I'm just sick of watching these ASHI members on another board talk about their children passing our exam when I know they actually failed it themselves. It drives me nuts.

Anyway, we aren't ASHI, thank god. We have a free online course at http://www.nachi.org/course.htm that you can take. You do not have to be a member to enjoy the benefits of this course. You do not have to pay either. It is free and open to all.

Please keep trying to pass. And no, we won't charge you each time.

I sincerely hope to have you for a member someday. So many great inspectors here at NACHI.

My apologies again,

Nick

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Jason,

Keep taking the exam until you can pass it. If nothing else, it will be a great resource for your pursuits.

I can't speak for Nick but I can tell you that this business is not to be taken lightly. I can also tell you that NACHI is the new inspectors best ally. If you get to the point where you can join, you won't regret it.

You may have just got hit by a pitch but keep swinging. Consider yourself lucky to converse with professionals of this caliber and hang in there.

Alright now, on to first base with ya!

John

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Jason you can still ask question on the board learn what you can from whoever you can.

And no it is not set up backwards Pass a test then join. All other org is join then pass the test. Money for them, then more money them.

PS: Ask whatever you like here you don't have to be a member to get help from a NACHI member. Keep trying after using the NACHI site you will be able to pass any test.

Well I just took the test and passed… I had been studying for some other test and it must have paid off… Does the test on your site remember that i passed?

Congratulations!

I'm so glad you passed. I get so sick to my stomach when I have to turn away anyone.

Excellent work. I think I'm happier than you are!

Nick

Originally Posted By: Steve Alexander

John is right! You can’t take this business lightly. And don’t ever think you know it all. Ive been building, repairing, and maintaining residential properties for 20 years. Took the test last night and passed with a 96. Started inspecting last year. You’ll be surprised at how many questions you"ll be ask on the job that you don’t really know the answer to. It’s harder than I thought it would be. That’s also what makes it a worthwhile. It keeps you thinking.

Steve

I think being an inspector is one of the toughest professions that exist.

You have to be able to market. Your clients won't use you again for another 8 years on average.

You have to know about every trade: roofing, plumbing, electrical, etc.

Then you have to know a little more, like why a defect occurred and what the correction is, and sometimes how much the correction will cost.

And you're expected to find the defects quickly just by looking around.

You have to be a people-person during the inspection. Unlike contracting or real estate, etc., you only have a couple hours with your client.

You have to be able to relate your findings verbally during the inspection.

Then you have to be able to relate those same findings again in writing.

Then you have to go back out at 1pm and do it again.

What are we doing in this business? ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Nick

PS Don't forget keeping up with technology, speling, and reading a map.

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh

Amen brother!

Alan Fernbaugh

Five Star Inspection Services

Baton Rouge, La.