Natural Gas Lines

Originally Posted By: jremas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Well?

![](upload://k5pnLSDbsk4PvP2mY3hzMKtKNT5.jpeg)

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Jeff,

So they felt a little creative that day, so what! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Here is my issue: There is a 3/4" black pipe that reduces to 1/2" and AFTER it reduces, it then feeds both the gas furnace and the hot water heater. I can accept the continuance to the h/w heater as a drip leg but not the drip leg for the h/w heater. It is not a separate drip leg, they just built it into the feed to the h/w heater. If anything collects, it will block the feed.

Both appliances should be 1/2" pipe, they should have continued the 3/4" black pipe and tee'd off of that with 1/2" to the furnace and 1/2" to the h/w heater. With the reducer being prior to the split, both appliances are sharing the same 1/2 feed. Thoughts??

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I see no issue with the 1/2", but do see an issue with the lack of true drip legs on each appliance. To me, its the same as having a 1/2 " feed above and dropping two 1/2" legs. The question is whether the main feed line is the correct diameter to carry the proper volume of gas to all apliances in the home.

I see no gas shut off for the boiler, and I see what appears to be teflon tape. "Normal" teflon tape is acceptable for water pipes, but I believe that there is different width and/or thickness teflon tape required for gas connections. Did you check for leaks? Most times, I see wipe-on sealant, like Leak-Lock being used.

Joe F, Actually there is no teflon, just looks like it. The proper sealant was used. I obviously agree about the drip legs. As far as the shutoff for the boiler, it is just out of camera range on the 3/4" pipe so it actually shuts off both appliances. As far as proper sizing is concerned,…THAT IS a good question…does anyone know the answer??

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Jeff,

Technically speaking, several factors go into the equation. For instance, how many feet of pipe are installed in the home, approximately. It there is 50 feet of 3/4" gas line installed, it has the capability of serving-up 151,000 BTUs of gas per hour. Look at the gas consumption rating of the boiler and water heater. If the input rating of these two appliances is greater than what the feet/diameter of the pipe is capable of handling, you have a potential problem.

My home: 45 feet (approx) of 1" black iron pipe. Capacity to deliver about 299,000 BTUs per hour. 150,000 BTU bioler and 60,000 BTU water heater Net consumption is 210,000 BTUs. Leaves 90,000 BTUs for stove and dryer. Not bad. Never had a problem in past 6-years...

But remember, the problem with these calcs has to do with common sense. Here's what I mean: has the house functioned with these appliances and systems for a while (like a full heating season or more)? Have they performed okay? If the answer is "yes" there's probably no problem. As to performing more in-depth stuff and off-the-cuff calcs, we are in the same discussion as with performing load calcs on electrical consumption.

BTW, the reference chart I use can be seen at http://home.mchsi.com/~gweidner/pipe-sizing-chart-ng.pdf

Joe

Originally Posted By: psabados

Jeff

I think the installer should have reduced further down maybe another 18" or so and used a bell reducer with a T. Put his 6" nipple in and 90 down then another T and allowed for the drip. Thats on the boiler side. The hot water heater line would be higher, using a T to create the drip and then going to the hot water heater. No trap situation made that way. Should be no problems with the 1/2 inch

What kind of wire or tubing has been attached to the side of the water heater?

Paul

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Ok, so they both should have had drip legs, they don’t. It is using the feed line for the water heater as a drip leg, big deal. I can promise you that water heater will fail long before that feed line clogs! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, he should have placed a "t" at the top and then seperated them to each appliance. Who knows, maybe he did it on an Emergency Sunday call with just the parts they had left over from the last job! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Either way...big deal! Go onto something more important, like something they will get hurt from!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

By the way, this example is from the home I recently purchased. I used this situation as one of the re-negotiating tools. I will be re-piping it correctly soon. Just don’t hold your breath…

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey Jeff

Little help please! What is that cable attached to the side of the hot water heater? External Anode lead? Looks like it loops at the pilot valve assembly and then what?

Paul

Igor,

You silly, of course that is not a trip hazard, any dummy knows you are supposed to step over the gas line! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

He was thinking like me, why waste all that good time, effort and money on all that extra pipe when you can just keep going! Just like I do with the wiring, except I used THREE of them for the whole house! Now I got all those empty spaces in the breaker panel.

Joe Myers