need some help with 602.6.1...

Originally Posted By: five.five
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

On another website, there is a practice test that I take, the questions are random, and the other day I get the question,

What portion of a top plate can be notched with the addition of #16 gauge steel straps?

20%

40%

50%

60%

I answered it as 50 % and the test marked it as wrong.
I checked 60% and the test counted it as correct, and referenced code

I looked at my code check book and it said greater than or equal to 50%.
Can someone confirm it is 50% or greater, or is it 60% and I don't know my greater than or equal to symbols. ![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Over 50% you should use 16 gauge steel straps.

I don't think the code uses the word equal or max for the notch. So any thing from 50.001 and on up would be the answer in my way of thinking.

But wait till someone that knows to chime in.

Originally Posted By: tpope

. When piping or ductwork is placed in or partly in an exterior wall or interior load-bearing wall, necessitating cutting, drilling or notching of the top plate by more than 50 percent of its width, a galvanized metal tie of not less that 0.054 inches …shall be fastened to each plate across and to each side of the opening…

I don't see where it mentions the maximum notch size?? ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

Originally Posted By: five.five

my stinkin Code Check book has the symbol for greater than or equal to, but my IRC says more than 50 percent.

I think I will go with the IRC wording.

Thanks guys.