New Build with no GFCI protection?

Good luck. :thinking:

@rmeier2 please stop posting facts and information germane to the discussion.

Maybe we should split the hair between neutral and a grounded conductor?

That’s against code…:grinning:

1 Like

That ok, I keep reading that an HI is not a code inspector. Grin

1 Like

At least this wasn’t posted by one of his apprentices to prove him wrong.

and labeled for use …… is on the text.
The 2020 specified GFCI breakers,that meant not required in countertop. Also those close to water source need to be tamper resistant. The new panels setups came with all AFCI/ GFCI combo breakers. That cover by NEC and pass County Inspections under 2020.
So at this moment, we have 2 options. install GFCI where suppose to or use the alternative AFCI/GFCI breakers, that don’t need those devices installed. Since November 2020, our county inspectors start requiring the label on those receptacles with no physical device GFCI. 20 circuit panel with all AFCI/GFCI breaker went up our budget of top $2000.

The changes in 210.8(A) will result in all 125‐volt through 250‐volt receptacles installed at dwelling units supplied by single‐phase branch circuits rated 150‐volts or less to ground be provided with ground‐fault circuit‐interrupter (GFCI) protection for personnel. During the 2020 NEC cycle it was substantiated that 250‐volt receptacle outlets present similar shock hazards as 125‐volt receptacle outlets. This change will impact the typical 240‐volt receptacle outlets for cord‐and‐plug connected dryers, ranges, ovens or similar appliances. This new addition of 250‐volt receptacles, and the removal of any ampere limitation, will require GFCI protection for commonly used receptacle outlets in the specified areas of 210.8(A)(1) through (A)(11):
Bathrooms, Garages and Accessory Buildings, Outdoors, Crawl Spaces, Basements, Kitchens, Sinks, Boathouses, Bathtubs and Shower Stalls, Laundry Areas, Indoor Damp and Wet Locations.
Also, (A)(2) for basements previously only required GFCI protection in unfinished areas; (A)(2) requires all receptacle outlets in basements (area below grade level) to be GFCI protected, regardless if the basement is finished or unfinished. During the 2020 NEC code cycle it was substantiated that conductive floor surfaces prone to damp, wet or flooded conditions may exist in both finished and unfinished basements. The potential for electrical hazards and risk of a shock hazard exists regardless of unfinished or finished surfaces.

@jgiraldez2 are these local amendments? They differ from the NEC requirements.

Tamper resistant receptacles are not required just near water.

There is an ampere limit on the gfi protection requirement.

The NEC only says gfi protection. It can be a breaker or a device.

Depending on the county inspection cycle used at the moment that request inspection form, they are gonna ask you. If you are using GFCI close to water source, don’t need it on panel. All receptacles in the new installations or rehabs, requires tamper resistant devices. Every room. Under 2020 NEC you need all Minimum, GFCI breakers in replacement of GFCI devices near water. Must put the label on it “GFCI protected”. With AFCI/GFCi breakers for all areas, you can detect any fault on wiring, quickly. In Resume, the breaker thing is a now for 120V and 240V also.

If you’re quoting a local code amendment please clarify that. Some of the things you’ve stated as NEC requirements are not in the NEC.

2 Likes

NEC articles 422.5(A) Appliances receptacles
On location or panel, disposal, dishwasher, dryer, range/ove, A/C and countertop and Islands. All servicing equipment outlets.
I can post all new locations and details for electrical inspections on NEC 2020.

Here’s the section you quoted from the 2020 NEC:

422.5(A) General.
Appliances identified in 422.5(A)(1) through (A)(7) rated 150 volts or less to ground and 60 amperes or less, single- or 3-phase, shall be provided with Class A GFCI protection for personnel. Multiple Class
A GFCI protective devices shall be permitted but shall not be required.
(1) Automotive vacuum machines
(2) Drinking water coolers and bottle fill stations
(3) Cord-and-plug-connected high-pressure spray washing machines
(4)Tire inflation machines
(5)Vending machines
(6)Sump pumps
(7)Dishwashers
Informational Note: Section 210.8 specifies requirements for GFCI protection for the branch-circuit outlet where the covered location warrants such protection.

The next section tells you where you can install the GFCI protection:

422.5(B) Type and Location.
The GFCI shall be readily accessible, listed, and located in one or more of the following locations:
(1) Within the branch-circuit overcurrent device
(2) A device or outlet within the supply circuit
(3) An integral part of the attachment plug
(4)Within the supply cord not more than 300 mm (12 in.) from the attachment plug
(5)Factory installed within the appliance

5 Likes

Also, gfi protection is required in more locations than simply near water sources.

4 Likes

The note is your clue, in this matter. Interpretation and is a big debate on that. Refer to Mike Holt, Tom Henry, and other on the 2020 changes. Knowing that information is need it to call it or not. We are not code inspectors in this cases, regardless I Am for a Corporation, but Knowledge lead in this referrals.
I’m not working during the weekend but that matter is very interesting discussion. Have a nice and productive week.

I worked with Osceola, Orange, Seminole and Lake, FL and City of Orlando, Winter Park and Maitland.
all following same standard. You can download the info from their sites. Or your county area

Add 210.8 and you have it all

Article 210.8 covers what and where gfi protection is required. It does not state that the protection must be provided by gfi breakers as you state above. The note in 422 does not state the need for gfi breakers only either.

1 Like

But! He’s done everything & been everywhere.
Cute he told Robert to go to Mike Holt… … …

6 Likes

1 Like

Javier, I see that you responded to me regarding you credentials. I did not ask for them. I find you to be knowledgeable and your posts to be informative but they tend to have information that is stated as code when it is not actually part of the code language. What you say could be a local amendment where you hang your hat but it is not the NEC wording that you claim it to be. Could even be something else like the way you would do things. IMO the goal here is for the language to be correct when you’re quoting the NEC so that others who come here to learn can follow along and read the correct information.

You posted about the replacement of GFCI receptacles, stating that their replacements must be GFCI circuit breakers. You also posted about the required labeling of GFCI protected receptacles, in both cases stating that this is in the 2020 NEC. I asked for a code reference and you provided one. I posted that entire section of the NEC and it makes no mention of either of your original statements.

1 Like

I don’t think It is worded that way, but, it says at location or panel. Not just at the panel.