New Construction- Missing GFCI

Lol done and done :ok_hand:t2: Sent the report before creating the topic but was curious if it was a wild miss or common defect on new builds

Brian, Your post was appreciated… I had a similar thing happen to me with AFCIs on new construction about 3-4 years ago. Had a couple of new construction inspections within a few days of each other that had no AFCI for bedroom circuits. Found out that here in Utah they are no longer required in the Utah. (however I have found out a few municipalities/jurisdictions do require them but not in the area where I am.)

I guess it happens… Two weeks ago I had a new build that didn’t have any AFCI breakers. That was a first for me.

That’s actually a really good idea.

I see the afci in bedroom circuits here in new builds. I tell folks it’s because people like to jump on their beds.

What kind of circuit breakers were protecting these circuits?

Nothing closer up of the actually breakers.

No AFCI protection either.

1 Like

Is this home in an area with no local jurisdiction, city or county code authority?

It is not, there are local and county code enforcement agencies.

Then I would refer to whatever year of the NEC they are using. For both GFCI and AFCI requirements… You probably already new that, just saying.

1 Like

I wouldn’t refer to the NEC. I would make a recommendation and they can do it or not.

Call L & M and ask them if they are installing AFCI/GFCI in their new installs :slight_smile:

Remember, these breakers are $50 a piece vs $10

But at least in my area new construction is supposed to be built according to the local codes. And the various AHJ’s in my area use numerous different years of the NEC. So if the Builder wants to argue about it you have that.

Good point on new construction, as the title says. :sunglasses: