New FEMA Procurement Specs.

New FEMA Procurement Specifications Require Significantly Reduced Formaldehyde Levels In Mobile Homes And Park Models
*by fema.gov *

Full production of UFAS, IAQ-compliant models underway, first units expected in time for 2008 hurricane season
Release Date: April 11, 2008
Release Number: HQ-08-056
WASHINGTON, D.C. – All future temporary housing units purchased by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) must meet strict new procurement specifications for indoor air quality, including a requirement that formaldehyde emission levels must be significantly reduced inside the units. Each unit must test below .016 parts per million (ppm). This requirement means that the units will be comparable to conventional U.S. homes, where the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say indoor air concentrations of formaldehyde typically range from .010 to .030 ppm.
The primary methodology for lowering formaldehyde levels in temporary housing units involves removing products that release elevated levels of formaldehyde and other chemicals called Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). This means that products containing formaldehyde or VOCs, such as Medium Density Fiber products, all vinyl gypsum board, all urea formaldehyde emitting materials and high formaldehyde emitting insulation products must not be present in the units. Also, to ensure proper air circulation, FEMA is requiring that all newly purchased housing units comply with HUD’s 35 percent minimum air exchange rate per hour for manufactured housing.
The new procurement specifications will be part of a request for proposals that FEMA will post on the FedBizOpps.gov Web site for the design and production of an initial 500 manufactured homes and 100 park models. The contract will be in place for three years and allow FEMA to purchase up to 1,400 manufactured homes and 1,900 regular park models for use in future disasters.
“There is no national standard for formaldehyde levels in American homes; not conventional stick-built homes, not manufactured homes,” FEMA Administrator David Paulison, said. “Until such a time as there is a consensus standard, we will take extraordinary precautions and require that all new-production units that FEMA purchases test below the lowest existing ‘standard’ and below the midpoint of the range that CDC calls ‘typical’ for conventional homes.”
FEMA has been working with the Recreational Park Trailer Industry Association (RPTIA), the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Health Affairs (DHS/OHA) since last August to develop this new set of procurement specifications for manufactured housing. Temporary housing units always are a last resort and are used only in the aftermath of disaster events in which rental resources are limited or nonexistent.
A prototype two-bedroom model, built to these new indoor air quality requirements, already has been evaluated and found to meet these specifications by a third-party industrial hygienist expert in indoor air quality. Full production is under way and delivery of the first units is expected to begin within eight weeks.
All the new units, whether park models or manufactured housing (mobile homes), are to be designed and constructed with a superior grade quality of workmanship and, at a minimum, meet the construction material requirements and air exchange rates established for manufactured housing in HUD’s Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards (Title 24 of the Code of Federal Regulations 3280).
Procurement specifications differ for units depending on whether they are intended to be used in warmer U.S. climates or colder U.S. climates. Additionally, construction and outfitting standards identify minimum square footage of living space, floor plan configuration, finishes, furnishing and environmental living conditions necessary to provide emergency housing for disaster relief operations. All units accepted by FEMA will emit ‘limited or no detectable levels of formaldehyde.’ Testing will be conducted for each unit at the manufacturing plant before the unit leaves the plant.
FEMA coordinates the federal government’s role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.
http://www.fema.gov/news/newsrelease.fema?

so they did learn a lesson from New Orleans ,Great!!!

They are allowing about double the Formaldehyde of what my industrial hygienist will allow

I just wanted to let everyone know about this great website I ran across the other day:

www.procurementcrossing.com

It has a MASSIVE number of procurement jobs available. They have a comprehensive collection of over one million researched job opportunities available…even with all of the FORTUNE500 companies!! I hope that someone else has as good of luck with this website as I have!

Are you looking for a procurement related job? I was and I was having a really hard time finding one. Until, that is, I found ProcurementCrossing.com. That web site really helped in my job search. It lists hundreds of great procurement related jobs. If you are in the same situation as I was, it might be of help

“sniff” “Sniff” … anyone else smell spam? :wink:

But wait, click the link in the next 15 seconds and be caller # 57 and we’ll double your offer.

Gerry