New Inspector in Oregon Willing To Pay For Ride Alongs

Hello,

I recently passed the NHIE and am looking to start doing home inspections in the Portland, OR metro area. Is anyone in Oregon willing to let me shadow them for in-field inspections? I am willing to help as an extra pair of hands and pay a fee per inspection.

I feel the in-field experience in necessary for me to provide a good service to future customers. Thank you!

Erik

1 Like

Another option is to reach out to friends and family. Offer them free inspections and provide them with a free report. Have them sign an inspection agreement with a disclaimer stating the inspection and report is being done as a courtesy and for the inspectors training purposes only. This report is not an official report and should not be construed as such. Put a disclaimer on each page of the report stating the same. Have your friends and family give you feedback on both the actual inspection (let them follow you) and the report. When inspecting these homes, really take your time and understand the entire home. Many of them likely have the home inspection report from when they purchased their home. Ask if you can have their report so you can compare your findings to the original inspectors. Compare your software (report presentation) and narratives to other inspectors report software and narratives. Of course, make sure you are already licensed and insured. Check with your insurance provider first and explain to them what you are doing. They may have some guidance on how to do this and be covered.
You may find someone who is willing to let you do some ride alongs but most likely you won’t. Even if you do find someone willing to let you ride along, remember they are not going to take the time to hold your hand. They are there to do the inspection and get out. If you want to be successful in this business, you have to think outside the box and do the work. It’s really all up to you.

1 Like

What are your intentions on becoming an Internachi Member?

2022-10-07_164022

IMO, it is uncouth to ask an organization to take their time and train you if you can’t even be bothered to join their Association.

It’s something to think about if you want others to take you seriously.

2 Likes

Thank you, Kevin. I appreciate the response.

1 Like

Jeffery, imagine I stepped into InterNachi headquarters as a brand new inspector and potential InterNachi member asking for help. Is this the way you would respond to me? Do you think that would make me more or less inclined to join? This forum is the first impression I have of InterNachi members. Why would you accuse me of trying to take advantage of the organization, with an accusatory tone right off the bat?