New InterNACHI Graphics

Thanks Randy and Nick; this is great. I love having graphics to add to my reports.

I decided to rename it thermal expansion damage, because once the wedge breaks off it’s no longer a crack,

1 Like

Randy should advance to the class of Lifetime Member!

4 Likes

Wasn’t he the MOY in 2014? I thought that was a benny of winning, or did that get suked out also??

Thank you, Randy and Nick! These will certainly come in useful and further add to the professionalism of our member reports.

1 Like

Here is a graphic showing the limitation on anchor bolt placement at the end of the sill plate.

12 Likes

Nice work Randy, always look forward to you observations, graphics are wonderful

1 Like

This graphic shows how footing pressure dissipates with depth and compares a strip footing with a square footing.

6 Likes

I would love to see one for opposing roof vents. Maybe illustrating how they cause upper attic recirculation rather than proper lower to upper ventilation?
Thanks for all you’ve done and thank you in advance for all you’re going to do!

Randy,

Any chance you can do a graphic for dirt/debris or snow blocking an egress window from opening?

Jeff, I have never seen this. Do you have a photo?

Different Jeff, but I am assuming he is referring to basement window egress wells full of leaves/snow as they are not easily covered and still be escapeable. They are always a hazard in winter when they get a snow drift in them, and sometimes not easily seen.

2 Likes

Here is a one with snow. Had one today with dirt and debris where I could not get the clearest photo.

2 Likes

Brad, trying to control attic air flow and water vapor is a complex subject. The wind direction, roof configuration/volume, type/color of roofing material, amount of direct sunlight, climate zone, humidity level outside and inside the house, air leaks through the ceiling, ambient air temperature changes throughout the day all affect the air flow in the attic. IMO a condition attic is the best way to go, followed by soffit/ridge vents supplemented with exhaust fans with temperature and humidity controls.

2 Likes

Jeff, placing a window well cover is one solution, however depending on the configuration and snow load that may be difficult to open. I couldn’t find weight limits on an egress window well. I will keep looking.

1 Like

The one in the photo is one of the most severe that I have come across. Typically, if the window well depth was increased a few inches from the bottom of the window, there wouldn’t be a problem. This was the case today, as dirt was up against the window. With snow, there is also water intrusion to worry about.

Jeff, I found the following job specification for New York project.

Window wells shall be provided with an opening cover. The cover shall be designed in accordance with the applicable code to support a minimum live load of 40 pounds per square foot. The cover shall be operable from within the window well without the use of tools or special knowledge, and shall require no more than 30 pounds of force to fully open.

This weight limit is not in the IRC or IBC, unless specifically amended by a city or county.

1 Like

Jeff, The International Fire Code states the following under Egress Maintenance:

1031.2 Reliability. Required exit accesses, exits and exit discharges shall be continuously maintained free from obstructions or impediments to full instant use in the case of fire or other emergency where the building area served by the means of egress is occupied.

1 Like

Yes, we see that a lot here as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Randy,

The odds of having well covers here is probably around 5%.