New Kansas home inspector Bill, HB 2260

Gary -

In chatting with the SoP & Education Committee members in Kansas, they’ve had no meetings or participated in the rewriting of the Bill. Several of the Kansas Board Members say the same thing.

SO … Who / Whom is doing this?

Not to be rude, BUT some of the language or rules are getting fruity. What you were pointing out in the Bill OR the language regarding misdemeanors OR of AUTOMATICALLY rejecting an applicant convicted of a FELONY … UNLESS the BOARD determines that …

As someone who has run construction crews for over 40 years, I try and think how many of the guys on one of my crews had made a mistake somewhere in their life and been arrested for something along the way that has absolutely nothing to do with his or her ability to do home inspections TODAY **OR **that was done 5 years, 10 years or 20 years and that mistake had been paid for years or decades in the past.

As home inspectors, I see certain less desirable, weaker or wimpy members of our clubs doing things to OURSELVES that even most other professions don’t do to themselves. I usually think its because these widgets are using EVERY angle possible to fence themselves in AND fence others out.

Gary -

You’ve been a builder just like myself and many other members on this Board. In my few years in this business, when I’ve see something like what you brought up - Its usually someone doing the Bill writing thats got a close competitor that had some sort of run-in with the law often YEARS ago. This wazoo working on the Bill or City Ordinance, etc is trying a backdoor way to eliminate his competitor BUT by using an ordinanace OR law so he can’t be accused of doing it himself …

Bet money one of the HI mice putting the biil together for the RE Agents has that exact situation. His competitor kicks his ***, so …

But when we throw this before the legislators, it sure sounds good. Like “We’re protecting the public”; OR “For the Children”, OR “For National Security”, OR so “We can help identify THESE people”.

Now lets move on to other STUFF. All the things in this Bill that will give the Bill Writer the ability to basically establish a restaint of trade, but LET the state law do it so he doesn’t get his butt sued off.

Look at the training providers wording - It will cost anyone an arm and leg just to apply. $500 to the HI Board to review your app, AND in the proposed rules already written and posted on the KSINSPECTORS.org someone wants to make ALL education fall under the Kansas State Board of Regents (the folks governing colleges). Thats another $1,200 fee.

Humm … Wonder who / what hes trying to keep out on this one?

Then, If this bill goes through, I demand to have all five board members fingerprinted, and see their background checks also, along with the fingerprinting and background checks of all home inspection board committee members and educational providers, and of all who will need to pay all educational and registration fees and take the proctored tests. What is fair, is fair. Just because they are board members, they do not get free rides.

lets make sure all the board members are finger printed FIRST

Better YET - Kansas Freedom of Information Act / Public Records, etc.

Lets see WHO is paying the KAREI groups lobbyist this year and last since they were almost broke - according to their BoD members.

Lets see HOW MANY legislators got contributions from KAR or Realtors.

Lets see WHAT KAR’s lobbyists records shows for expenditures.

Lets ASK someone like the civil liberties union OR Justice Department if its LEGAL to “RESTRICT our ability to CONTRACT with our clients”. Thats what them telling us we can’t limit our liability to under $$$$$$$$ is doing.

LETS under the Kansas Freedom of Information Act / Public Records, etc. pull displinary actions (the public portion) on Realtors for the past 3 yrs, and see whose done what to whom AND how many have been convicted of a MISDEMEANOR or FELONY of ANY KIND, etc.

If we’re gonna dance, lets quit fooling around AND dance.

Not enough time.

You gotta make a whole lot of noise…and get the media to help.

Nick I think you time would be better spent at this meeting instead of the Board meeting you promised to attend.

What does the board have to discuss??? there’s not a passed bill yet.

Come out and help stop this nonsense.

Anyone else agree??? speak up

You read something into it that was not there Dan. Second hand I heard it was theft.

But your assesment about the typical things one gets written up for was right on the money.

FINGERPRINTING SHOULD ONLY BE $74.99 SINCE THEY HAVE A LIMIT OF $75. Here in Texas we are required to use a new form Feb 1, 09 and E & O are required. Software updates are not always free and the time to reorganize comments has taken many days as well. Legislation says no additional cost to the inspectors…bs. Laws are made to be enforced so some make a lot of money.

Yep and in the name of consumer protection.:roll:

Laws are written to only benefit the ones who write them. Never the consumer. Just look at this new government stimulus bill. It will never benefit the people or consumers. The stipulations only satiisfy the senators and reps who put their pork into them. I wonder if they get fingerprinted.

Today, sent e-mails to several TV and radio media outlets. No response. The media must be in bed with the RE’s, too. We, as professional inspectors, only number in the few hundred here in Kansas and Missouri. We are up against perhaps 25,000 realtors. It is a no win situation.

Try phone calls. Each television station has a “consumer advocate” who reports on wasted tax dollars. This is their story.