New member to the boards

Hi Rudolf,

I am one of the exceptions, probably much like yourself. I haven’t solicited to Realtors in a Donkeys age, my work comes by referral, experience (since 1991), reputation.
I don’t do two or three inspections a day or 5-6 per week. I don’t want to and I don’t need to. I charge more and work less. Sure I get a handful of referrals from realtors, but I don’t cater to them, and I don’t work for them, and yes I occassionaly blow deals, thats why I only work for a handful of them. However the ones I do work with realize that their client will get someone who is known for being honest and thorough.

As to the current state of the profession… I know inspectors who have thrown in the towel and gone into realestate. I had my realestate licence in 1991, but thats when the market collapsed, so here I am.

Anyway Rudolf, I always enjoy reading your opinions and comments, I would be delighted in reading more of your thougths and opinions.

Post soon! :wink:

Regards,

Roy and Rudolf, et al.

Just today my cleaning lady was stating her son was interested in home inspecting as a new career. I’ll do my best to dissuade him. :wink:

Hi Doug - the one through Humber College is accepted by OAHI, providing you meet the passing grade required.

I will also disclose that I teach for Humber College Home Inspection Program online - before anyone decides to cry foul play here.

If you are looking for a course online to fill that void - it’s your choice, but one I simply offer for your consideration. The course is taught by Ron Nokes, another member and a business partner.

Doug,

Thats unbelievable! Inaccusable too! OAHI should be giving you a list of course providers. Why do you have to do the running around after all its their requirement.

How convoluted is that?

Cheers,

Thanks Claude,
I actually just finished the Intro to Home Inspection through the online course at Humber with Ron Nokes. I am aware of the online electrical course, but was hoping to find one that was more hands on or in-class.

Appreciate your help.

I attempted to take an in-class electrical course a few years back to meet OAHI’s requirement. The last course I needed to meet OAHI’s requirements. At the time this particular course was approved by them. First day of class I found out that the text material was changed last minute.

They were now using the CD electrical module. Cost of the CD text was $400. Cost of the course was $400. Total cost $800. They said that the CD electrial modual was going to be followed precisely. But wait, I can take the CD home study for $400 and receive the exact same text. So I was going to be paying some guy to walk us through a book. :shock:

However many students x $400. what a racket :mad:

No thanks. I promptly got a refund for the course that night and enroled in the CD home study for the electrial module the next day and saved myself $400. Final mark was in the high nighties.

Once I got all of the requirements needed for OAHI, I joined NACHI :stuck_out_tongue:

Thats OAHI. Money, money, money. But no one seems to know where all the money is! Priceless. :frowning:

You have to send them money just for them to tell you what the requirements are to become a member which inevitably mean paying more money to the “friends of OAHI” who teach the courses. And then when you are ready, you can pay more money for them to review your inspections and deceide that you can’t be a RHI because they don’t want any more RHI at that time. But don’t worry you try again in the future. It will just cost you more money.

Just like they bitch and complain about members not volunteering. Then when you volunteer they tell ya the committee has no openings or you get no response.

Paul well said I was a RHI member of OAHI/CAHPI and served on various committees.
I as sitting at a group meeting and we where talking about what we could do for the members .
I said I felt we should call a special meeting to get some feed back.
I was asked how will we pay for the meeting .
I said take it out of the coffers this is to important to let slide .
I was told we can not do that if we go and spend money on things like this we will never be able to buy out own Building.
This made me see what a selfish self serving group they are .
They have no feelings for the membership it is all for the Director teachers.
I joined NACHI in 2003 and let my OAHI membership die.
They are a closed door association maintaining about 220 +or- RHI for as long as I have know them.
They milk the students and hold them back till the give up ,been this way for years.
NACHI is the greatest.

…Cookie

Wow, now I seem to have opened a hornets nest of feelings here about the electrical course. Doug, I am glad you mentioned this, I am taking the electrical for a second time, and would prefer a hands on, in class study. I recognize your name, maybe we recently took a course together on Blackboard.
I am going to have to look into the electrical course and find out what the alternative is for me if this course won’t be recognized. I think I have until the 24th to withdraw from this course. If I can’t find a course I guess I have to keep on trooping with this one. As far as I knew though the complete set of Carson Dunlop was acceptable for OAHI.
Doug will you please keep us informed of what you find out about courses.

The rest of the comments are well received, I appreciate all the opinions everybody offers about their chosen profession. Some of them may serve me well in the future.

Roy, I should take you up on the offer of meeting up with you and your wife. You sound like you have an awful lot of information to share, not only that, but insight that could help prepare me for what lies ahead. It sounds like there may be a lot that I am unprepared for. I thought I had this thing thought out in my head, but sometimes it doesn’t function as well as it should.

I can see how many probably would end up in Real Estate, the market as it is in this region right now specifically. I can’t see myself selling houses, it’s not my cup of tea.

Kathy

Paul…been there and done that too plus a little more…

OAHI’s logo… SHOW US THE MONEY

NACHI’s logo…BE ALL YOU CAN BE JOIN NACHI AND SEE

Hi Kathy
You Have Come To The Right Place For Support,and Training. I Am A Graduate Of The Carson Dunlop Program,and I Think Joing The Internachi Group Would Be Very Helpful To You.i Looked Into Joing The Other Group ,and I Couldn’t Beleive The Hoops The Want You To Jump Through.there Is Ongoing Training Available Here ,and There Is A Wealth Of Knowledge From Fellow Members About Just About Anything You Come Across.i Started My Own Business From Scratch ,so I Cant Really Advise On How To Get Employment.
Good Luck
Ron

Thanks Ron, it’s nice to hear that you are doing well from the Carson Dunlop course. I am concerned about this electrical course, but if I don’t go the other group way then is it fine for interNACHI? I hope so, I have been looking through the education pages here, and am amazed, I have to say that just this first day of being on the boards here has had me go through such a range of emotions, thankfully I have you guys to bounce thoughts off of.
What a great group, I am glad I landed here, I should have joined when I first found the group so many months back.

It’s interesting to hear that the other group creates such a hoopla over joining them, I almost sent in for their information package but was waiting until I was further into the CD course.

Thanks,

Kathy

Welcome Kathleen: I looked at joining OAHI about 3 years ago but after seeing what it was going to cost me I never followed up. I actually found NACHI by accident one day while surfing the net , it has been the best thing that I ever did joining NACHI . the best people the best education , BUT ONE THING YOU MUST GET IS HANDS ON EXPIERIENCE , YOU CAN’T GET THAT FROM A TEXT BOOK !
I have been in the construction business all my life , I started with my father who was a builder , and I’m older than dirt .
Kathleen : Hands on expierience , that’s the BIG thing.

Things must be very different in Canada. I am neither a retiree with a pension, nor a vendor of any kind. My only source of income is from my home inspection business which has brought me an above average income since 2000. I managed to do this without compromising my integrity.

Thanks Jorge and Fred.
Fred my biggest issue right now is hands on. I can’t advance at all without it, I can’t move forward, I feel that I would benefit from working while I study so that I can get the hands on as I study, enforcing all that I read. I would very likely have less difficulty at exam time too. I could get top grades in all exams and still be utterly clueless in the first home I walked into.
My husband keeps coming back from work saying so and so had an inspection yesterday, geez I could have gone along on that one, so many people have had inspections recently it’s frustrating.

Jorge, maybe we should all move to Florida! Sure would beat all this cold weather up here.

Kathleen , I wish I was closer to you , you seem like you are really dedicated to this business , we could start with my house :slight_smile: , " hey find the defects".
I’m sure someone on here will step forward to lend a helping hand.
HANG IN THERE , WERE HERE TO HELP !

[quote=Rudolf Reusse]
I am surprised to read that there are still unwary newcomers around who believe that entering the home inspection business might be a ticket to success and/or financial independence. I suggest considering that the majority of home inspectors consist these days of retirees who already are collecting a secured pension from their former careers. The income from an “occasional” home inspection becomes therefore only a welcomed supplement of additional spending money.

Everyone involved in this business should have experienced by now that the only formula to make some real money is to render your integrity to the manipulative real estate fraternity - and to dance to their tune 24-7. But even this degrading approach is no guaranty for success. There must be a reason why most established home inspectors have become by now firstly educational course providers - franchisors - and/or publishers/vendors of *“real estate agent friendly” *report systems.

A visit to the Real Estate Forum - www.remonline.com might also be beneficial to assess the chances how to become successful in this cutthroat business. **To find gainful employment in this field is close to nil. **

RUDOLF REUSSE - Home Inspector since 1976 - TORONTO
**Hi Rudolf, Does this look formiluar? **
[FONT=Times New Roman]I read this and saved it for future use.
I kept this from some time ago, and still send it to new homeinspectors as food for thought. So read and think or delete?
I think this is a very frustrating and difficult career to get into. Wonder they the colleges are not cranking out more inspectors?

Let me see if I can sum up the ideal requirements:
You need to have years of experience in the construction business or in one of the trades, which would take, well… years! Hard to get that coming out of a college!

You need to complete a ton of specialized courses that will cost you 4,000 to 6,000 or more, and take about 2 years of a lot of night school, while, presumably, you try to hold down a day job to pay for all this.

You need some equipment, ie: truck or van, ladders, and as many tools as you are foolish enough to use.

You need a reporting system - either computerized ( more bucks) or check off with comments, or… written. I forgot, most folks coming out of the school system would have to take a course on writing… and spelling … and maths…

Then once you have survived all of this cash outflow, you need to get some on the job training - lets say about 50 ride alongs with an experienced HI. Thats a trick, most are one man shops in an area where they do not want further competition, and live in fear of you stealing their contacts and future business, so that should really make this step a challenge, and take …well, years to complete 50 ride alongs!

You can join an association - preferably a professional one that will put you through a lot of hoops and steps and take months before you are allowed to practice inspections. Or, I suppose you could join some mail order group and have instant certification, which will likely be as recognizable to clients and Real Estate agents as any other “certification”.

Then you need insurance … if you can find a company that will insure a “newbie” and have still some money saved up to pay for the first year = lets say 5,000 to 6,000. Of course, you can decide to go without since by now, you probably will not have any assets left, and are highly unlikely to be able to afford any assets for the next several years if you survive in business as a home inspector.

Now, at last, 3 or 4 years later, you are ready to do inspections. Except that expensive cell phone and business line, are not ringing. So, you have to pound on doors, try to get by the pit bull at the front desk of most real estate firms, actually find an agent in the office, and willing to meet with you. You live in hope, that, once they recognize your lack of experience at inspections, but admire your young eagerness(?!) they will actually put you on their referral list - with all of the other inspectors they have used for years. Of course you will not see instances of agents pushing their “preferred” inspector since they are not allowed to do that!

So, once you are in business doing inspections, then the fall and winter arrive, and you are shocked to find out there is next to no inspection business due to the “slow” season in the Real Estate world. So, you have to face several months of no or negligible income with ongoing steady cash drains to support being in business. Opps, forgot all that money you have to find in order to advertize.

By now you have had to undercut all of the competition with the lowest rates in town in hopes that you will pull some business away from the more experienced inspectors out there, who, mysteriously are no longer talking to you. Suddenly you realize that you still do not have enough coming in to cover the costs. Should you have the misfortune of having to pay for an unhappy client, or worse yet, litigation - then you are really up the creek.

Suddenly, by year two or three, if you have made it that far, you wonder why did you even bother to spend all that time and money to get into a business, that, for many, is very stressful with constant concerns of litigation … and bankruptcy, especially when you realize that many experienced inspectors seem to last less than 7 years in this business, before burn out …or bankruptcy beats them down.

I forgot a couple of other ideal prerequisites, 1) independently wealthy - opps that probably means your assets are at risk
2) very understanding spouse who has a great career and is willing to support you, pay all the bills, watch the savings erode, while you struggle to make a go of this business.
3) a healthy retirement income, so you can enjoy this advocation without worry about making ends meet.

Since 1) and 2) are very hard to find these days, then, many inspectors likely fit into category 3)!

Gee, I wonder why so many are in the 50 to 60 age group?

Fear not, many baby boomers will be retiring so our ranks should continue to grow = with 50 to 60 year olds!

A very interesting statistic. Almost half of us are in the 50-60 age group with none under 30. Do you think this is because colleges aren’t promoting home inspection enough to entry level students.
Chuck Crooker CROOKERHANCOX HOME INSPECTIONS INC.

[/FONT]

Great information ,How true unfortunately most reading this do not want to except what has been said so many times .
Thanks Chuck and Rudolf…

…Cookie