New member to the boards

Good Afternoon Chuck Crooker:

I could not have said it better myself. Your humourous description how to become a home inspector these days - and its slim chances to succeed or to make money in this competitive and risky business - has hit the nail on its head. One could even laugh about it if the reality would not be so serious for so many naive novices who have been conned in by CAHPI/OAHI to invest in educational courses only to join the increasing number of home inspectors who are starving regardless of their designations obtained from these Canadian organisations.

There are only a few of the old-time home inspectors still around who have achieved to stay financially alive in Toronto as single operators. Smart colleagues have realized long time ago how one can really benefit from the trend in the Canadian home inspection industry by offering different services.

The best examples are A. Carson & R. Dunlop - who have managed that their Home Inspection Training Courses have now *been accredited by the National Certification Authority *as one requisite to become a *National Certificate Holder. *Not a bad achievement - and certainly a good example how to generate income from the unwashed masses without performing home inspections.

RUDOLF REUSSE - Home Inspector since 1976 - TORONTO

People have options. If they haven’t done their homework before getting into this biz they have no one to blame but themselves.

In Ontario the National Certification and/or Nachi likely going to be a better bet given the unfolding unfinished biz with OAHI.

Whether you pass all your exams it does not qualify you as an inspector. At the end of your course you will receive a certificate that mentions you have completed your courses. The CarsonDunlop program is the best in my opinion inspection training available and will equip you with the required knowledge for inspecting residential homes. Lets say you finish your course but fail to get your “certificate”, there is nothing that can stop you from inspecting houses, you just better know your stuff.

When you finish, get back on this site and join NACHI, learn as much as you can and write the online exam. You will be surprised to how much you know even if you fall short at school.

Also, some inspection companies will pay you up to 50% of the inspections and others will pay as little as 30% per inspection. I think some will even pay for your E+O + GL.

Good luck

[quote=Rudolf Reusse]
Good Afternoon Chuck Crooker:

I could not have said it better myself. Your humorous description how to become a home inspector these days - and its slim chances to succeed or to make money in this competitive and risky business - has hit the nail on its head. One could even laugh about it if the reality would not be so serious for so many naive novices who have been conned in by CAHPI/OAHI to invest in educational courses only to join the increasing number of home inspectors who are starving regardless of their designations obtained from these Canadian organizations.

There are only a few of the old-time home inspectors still around who have achieved to stay financially alive in Toronto as single operators. Smart colleagues have realized long time ago how one can really benefit from the trend in the Canadian home inspection industry by offering different services.

The best examples are A. Carson & R. Dunlop - who have managed that their Home Inspection Training Courses have now *been accredited by the National Certification Authority *as one requisite to become a *National Certificate Holder. *Not a bad achievement - and certainly a good example how to generate income from the unwashed masses without performing home inspections.

RUDOLF REUSSE - Home Inspector since1976 - TORONTO

Hi Rudolf, sometimes as I look around at all the home inspectors and the ones that are and wish to be it seems a large majority of them are happy to be doing it part time or take what they can until the $$$ runs out?

Hi Kathleen,

My name is Jerry and I am new to the industry as well. My business has been registered for a year now and I have only done 2 fee paid inspections for some friends.I still have a fulltime job and could afford to take my time getting started. It is not that I haven’t had the oppurtunity to do more , I have just decided to take my time and learn as much as possible before taking on a full marketing approach. I want to be as knowledgeable as possible and not look stupid in front of clients and agents. I have over ten years experience in renovations and construction and have taken the quick home inspection courses. I passed all the exams including the NACHI one with little trouble and am going to attend the Commercial course in March as well. I also have been lucky enough to have a local NACHI member bring me on some tag alongs to get hands on experience, I hope to be able to maintain a good business relationship with them for many years, thanks Joe. :slight_smile: Yes you definately need technical knowledge to properly perform inspections, however
as said most fail to get past their first 3 years. This is common for most small businesses , not just Home Inspectors. On top of the Technical courses what I believe most people forget is the business end of it, I have heard some of the experienced guys mention that this business is about 30% inspecting ,70% marketing and business. So most newbies take the the quick start inspection course and come out and set up a business, but have never run a business and know nothing about business , sales, marketing, communication or interaction with clients ,agents etc. They take out a yellow pages ad, print some cards and brochures and just sit and wait for the phone to ring, it isn’t going to happen. So on top of the technical courses don’t forget to take some courses in marketing , sales and business administration as well, and get ready for some resistance and negativity shown to you by agents, brokers and even some other inspectors. You also have to keep your goals realistic, everybody thinks that they will be doing 2-3 inspections a day and be making over $150,000 a year. Most small business owners in North America have a take home pay of $50,000 a year or LESS. I believe most HI’s could make a fair yearly income or comfortable living , but don’t expect it overnight and don’t expect to be making millions. But remember , whenever you are told you will fail or never make it , keep it in your mind and do EVERYTHING you can to prove them wrong! Best of luck!

Jerry
Just another newbie.:mrgreen:

Home work ?.
Raymond many see what the super sales people tell them about how easy it is and how much money they will make .
Just sign here give me $3,000;00 and in ten weeks you to will be on the way to making huge money,
These sales people are all the same ,OAHI The various Colleges and all those who teach in the Toronto area.
Give them the course and turn them out .
I used to get sick going to the OAHI meeting and see how they sold them poor soles how easy it is. I think we have about 20 different groups turning out a lot of new Home Inspectors every 3 months.

Not the least bit fair in my opinion.
18 plus years and OAHI has about 220 RHIs this should show how they all lie.

…Cookie

Sorta like shooting fish in a barrel eh? :wink:

Here is a list of very good books to help you and everyone that whishes to grow,

Top 10 Books & More

The E-Myth Revisited](http://www.mikecrow.com/Books.htm#Book1)
by Michael E. Gerber
Guerrilla Marketing](Mikecrow.com)
by Jay Conrad Levinson
The Richest Man in Babylon](mikecrow.com)
by George S. Clason
The Tipping Point](Mikecrow.com)
by Malcom Gladwell
Rich Dad, Poor Dad](mikecrow.com)
by Robert T. Kiyosaki
Cashflow Quadrant](Mikecrow.com)
by Robert T. Kiyosaki
Think and Grow Rich](mikecrow.com)
by Napoleon Hill
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People](http://www.mikecrow.com/Books.htm#Book14)
by Stephen R. Covey
Selling the Invisible](Mikecrow.com)
by Harry Beckwith
It’s not the Big that eat the Small, it’s the Fast that eat the Slow](mikecrow.com)
by Jason Jennings
Good to Great](http://www.mikecrow.com/Books.htm#Book6)
by Jim Collins
How to Win Friends & Influence People](Mikecrow.com)
by Dale Carnegie
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion](mikecrow.com)
by Robert B. Cialdini
I Love You, Ronnie](http://www.mikecrow.com/Books.htm#Book17)
by Nancy Reagan
Customer Satisfaction is Worthless, Customer Loyalty is Priceless](Mikecrow.com)
by Jeffery Gitomer
Loving What Is](Mikecrow.com)
by Byron Katie
Multiple Streams of Internet Income](mikecrow.com)
by Robert G. Allen
Brag!](mikecrow.com)
by Peggy Klaus
The Millionaire Next Door](mikecrow.com)
by Thomas J. Stanley
. The Millionaire Real Estate Agent](http://www.mikecrow.com/Books.htm#Book20)
by Gary Keller

Charles, you recommended some excellent reads for someone looking to get into any type of business or even just improve their current financial situations. I have watched the Rich Dad , Poor Dad seminar on video.

You may be trying to deter me with all this information, but I do appreciate all the insight. I never thought for a moment I would take the ten courses and be off on my merry way making a healthy wage in my first year.
I am fully aware that I have so much more to do than pass all the courses.
I am in the 30-40 age group, I am a stay at home mom with a more than passing interest in construction, even though I have never worked in the field.
I took the advice of a board member here, and I am looking into going to work with a Habitat for humanity group locally.
I don’t want self employment, I have looked into the pitfalls of that end of the business, I would be more than happy to do ride alongs for as long as I can get away with, the more experience the better.

Most importantly, I think, is that I do have a supportive spouse, one that is clearly funding this endeavor. One that is showing an interest in this himself. We aren’t stupid people and don’t think this is a get rich quick industry. If it was then I think there would be home inspectors literally coming out of the woodwork. Yet between OAHI and InterNACHI I can not find more than six registered home inspector for the town I live in. Real estate may be the route for some people that are at the end of their financial rope, I hope I have a few options before I get to that stage.

This is a career move for me, and I don’t think careers happen in ten courses online. I plan to stick with it, earn the skills required, and hopefully the respect of the community.

InterNACHI has fast become a great community to me, I plan to stick around here and learn from my peers, I have been around all week reading, wow, there is a lot going on, seems like a bit of a boys club though, don’t worry I am not easily offended! Please don’t take that as a challenge.

Kathy

Hi Kathleen,

I think it was me who mentioned about Habitat for Humanity. Another thing you might want to concider is attending those little workshops that Home Depot puts on. They are free and will show you in with real material (not pictures) how some things are done. But best of all you get hands on and can ask questions in person. They do them quite freqently but you can usually check on what topic are coming up. The draw back is that the topics they cover are very basic as they are geared for the DIY but there is ofen some usefull information in there somewhere. If you are really green though it may be of some help though.

Kathy,

Remember as some have stated, most fail after two or three years.

Also, being a member of an association is not what will make you a good inspector. You will meet inspectors who rely on being a member of an association and feel this is what is needed to be a good inspector. Knowledge, training, experience and most of all, common sense is what makes a good inspector.

And be prepared to struggle for the next couple of years.

See you on a site somewhere.

Where did you get the video??

It was broadcast on PBS about a year ago,(YES I watched PBS) he went through a fair amount of what he talks about in the book. Although probably mostly a book promotion seminar.