Newish Home Inspections

Hi All,

I have my first newer home inspection coming up (about 2 years old) and ironically I looked at the house just recently as a potential buyer, so at a quick glance, there wasn’t much to note and its on a slab. My question is, what do reports look like on these newer homes, is it normal to only find 3-4 defects that should be reported? I guess for the home buyer if that’s the case it would be a good thing but I feel like it would be a rather lame looking report.

Curious to hear y’all’s thoughts?

Thanks!

That is too much of an ambiguous question to answer.
Narrow it down a little with your question.

Brian, go do the inspection and report exactly what you see and find and that is the report that you produce for your client.

Maybe, you got an easy one! But don’t worry, there will be harder ones, down the road, to make up for it. :smile:

4 Likes

Newer doesn’t always mean better. I did a new construction job yesterday with 40 items “defects”.

2 Likes

It all depends on what you put into a report. Clients like to see the good things about a building as well, plus information on heating/cooling units, water heater, what’s inside the attic, etc. Plus, someone to make sure the builder didn’t cut any corners. One of my good reports on a new/never lived in home, ranges around 25 to 30 pages. I have yet to find a home with nothing wrong!

3 Likes

Thanks everyone!

And I guess my question is kind of a dumb one when I say it out loud :rofl: but I was essentially wondering if its okay to hand over a report with almost nothing on it if there is truly nothing to report

You still produce a full report by following the standards of practice:

Walls & Ceilings
Type: Painted drywall
Observations: Satisfactory condition with normal wear

Floors
Type: Hardwood, Carpet, Ceramic Tile
Observations: Satisfactory condition with normal wear

And so on

5 Likes

Stephen’s got it down pat… :smile:

1 Like

Depends what the seller fixed and or broken after moving in. I just looked at a brand new house, 30 deficiencies. Half of the stuff the builder left to “finish after finding buyer”. New just means new building material :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@ Brian, Don’t let your guard down, tradesman slap them together anymore! Crossed water lines at fixtures, cabinet doors hung crooked. Usually the newer the home the harder I hit them for Not doing their jobs right. (Brand new homes). When a home is older you have to set expectations for the client.
Have fun.

1 Like

I have never been to a home, even a brand new build, that had so few issues with it as 3 - 4. I have been to homes that were really nice but I always find so many common issues, some big and some small, that the report never comes out clean.

Hello
Good morning

Im doing the safety training and I was wondering if anyone have found a marijuana operation doing an inspection. I never though about this untill now and to be honest If I found one, I dont even know if I will do the inspection or reported to the authorities.

“growth”
Yes! I usually grab a few buds while I’m there… :partying_face:

2 Likes

Helps make a good profit for the business?! :crazy_face:

Like…wow, man…really? :rofl: :joy:

Exactly! :woozy_face:

Haha! Larry’s been there/done that! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For testing purpose, to ensure the component is safe for future homeowner :smiley:

1 Like

Yes! You wouldn’t want your client to get some weak pot would you? :grinning:

1 Like

Nope! Only organic non-gmo gluten free! Completely new homebuyer friendly! Mr Larry & Roy seal of approval, backed by NACHI guarantee!

1 Like