No gutters . . . a defect?

@jjonas directly referenced your really good post about gutters and gave helpful information about the using the search feature.

And for some reason you contradicted him.
At that point this post became silly.

So Nah, I disagree with you. So be it.

4 Likes

Every good inspector has to learn how to find useful answers and information, without just asking for the answer to be given.

Searching through a product manual or install guide or building codes require reading through a lot of unrelated data to find what you need. And along the way you learn a great deal more than originally planned, and you will retain it too.

So there’s a place for each method, but the 1st choice should be the manual research phase.

7 Likes

Jeffrey had a valid point, and I will consider better searching previous posts in the future for information. However, Also, thank you Ben for your support. I’m still highly appreciative for everyone’s input on this question and others I have posted. This forum has been an important learning tool for me, and I try to help share my knowledge too with the community in other areas where I have experience.

3 Likes

Why start a whole new thread on a topic that is going to just end up in an argument when you can search for a topic that has already ended up in an argument?

5 Likes

You can buy brand new construction around here and still not have gutters.

I always put it in the report, because I’ve seen what a lack of gutters will do to a foundation over time.

But it’s a recommended upgrade rather than a defect per se.

2 Likes

Well, DUH! How else do you think milestones like this happen??

6 Likes

I figured it was from the 35 posts each day about birthdays, logo designs, and a family member’s website design company.

6 Likes

So true.
But look at all the “hits” !!!

4 Likes

Here in SW Ohio if a house I’m inspecting has no or partial gutters, I write it up as a defect. IMO having functional gutters with downspouts that are terminated at least 10 feet away from the structure is considered a component of site drainage.

5 Likes

I have family that built a house in Panama City a few years ago. When we visited them that was one of the first things I noticed. There was not a single house in the subdivision that had gutters. I thought it was odd because they are so prevalent here, but unless it’s a contributing factor to foundation failure I wouldn’t comment on them missing. I would consider recommending gutters and downspouts be added, but I can also see that as being a monotonous comment that gets added to all your reports.

Not required by code in most areas BUT very beneficial component

1 Like

Using the same logic, why don’t they just remove the “new topic” button? There is nothing that hasn’t been asked here, searchable in another forum, or readily available on the internet.

Yes he did, but he started off the reply with “did you bother to search…”. It really reads as “what the f•ck you bothering me for, look it up.”*

You’re not wrong. In fact, I came away with the exact thing you did.

But Ben took exception to using the search feature. Ben apparently wants new posts and I do not think it is because of “silly” content because new or old, it is going to happen. If he has a problem with JJ’s attitude then he could address that directly.

3 Likes

I have always recommend gutters if they are not present.
“Recommend installing a gutter system as to avoid erosion and to direct water away from the foundation.”

3 Likes

I think Ben’s “silly follow-up comments” may have been a colloquialism for the unhelpful, unsolicited and off topic comments that usually follow a serious inquiry. I think it was a nice way of saying “there’s no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer”.

His subsequent “iron sharpens iron” comment was a nice way of saying “if you don’t have nothing good to say, don’t say nothing at all”.

Don’t get me wrong, the last time I asked a question here, it was you and JJ that promptly answered it to my satisfaction. It was the unhelpful and unsolicited comments by other contributors that followed.

As far as the OP goes, I would recommend monitoring and taking corrective action as needed.

5 Likes

For me if I inspect a home in my area without a gutter system I would generally include a statement like this.

“While this may not be a requirement, the home would benefit from a complete rain gutter system upgrade. With a properly installed rain gutter system this would help facilitate water runoff in a controlled manner to divert water away from the homes foundation and structure. A rain gutter system can also add value to the home.”

3 Likes

I like that . Can we all have it?

Absolutely

1 Like

Thanks …