No main disconnect?

Well worth the extra trip…:wink:

The realtor should be doing something for their 7%. Maybe the real future for this profession would be a “pre-inspection” along with a punch out crew who gets these houses ready to sell.
The problem seems to be home inspections are like snow flakes, no two alike.
I have heard hundreds of stories about how the seller bought an inspection, fixed all the problems and then the buyer’s inspector said some of the things “fixed” should be reverted back to what the original inspection tagged.

Shhhh! That’s how some of us stay busy up here…we have a couple buyers and sellers that haven’t closed escrow going on 6 months, 6-7 inspections both ways…but we’re going to have to release them pretty soon. One good thing, I think we think we have the home back to original so there shouldn’t be much liability. :cool:

Since we are on the subject…
I personally think the relatively young trade/field of Home Inspecting has already lost site of it’s intended purpose:
To find and identify current and potential safety & structural issues/problems so a potential buyer has not huge surprises 6 months after closing.

These days it seems all the H-I is there for is to give the buyer ammunition to bargain the price lower. So then you get the back and forth buyer/seller inspections as related above.

IMO all houses should be sold AS-IS! If you do not like the problems/issues as the house stands don’t pay the aggreed upon price.

As an example. No one should be compelled to install GFIs for instance in a 50 year old house. It was not code then and is still legal now!
You cannot impose a retroactive code.
Unless of course there is a serious safety concern. Even in this case it is a building department issue.

Well, it was intended as light humor…apparently…very light…

I think most of us are trying to educate the client about the condition of the house and I think many buyers go in with negotiating on their mind. It is, IMHO, more the Realtor’s job to manage his client regarding price, market, negotiation and the like.

Again, I think most of us make recommendations and don’t compell anyone to do anything.

No, not really.

I’ll tell you what. Most buyers and sellers don’t see it that way. Especially buyers.

Yes, some buyers/sellers don’t see it that way. We can educate about the house and what a home inspection is and when it gets right down to it the client has to decide what’s important to him or her and their family.