Noisy cover on an air conditioner

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I looked at an air conditioner (old) for a realtor friend of mine the other day. They had bought this older home and turned the ac on and said that it was making some terrible noises outside her bedroom window. I went and looked and it was the grill cover that was making all the noises ( I told you it was old). Question is how can she make it stop? I was thinking of just putting some rubber washers under the screws. Any other thoughts.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Dave

I have seen a similar problem with an older AC set up, what caused the problem was that the original srew holes had some rust in them which had in effect made the holes larger, all I had to do to quiet it down was to replace the screws with a slightly larger sheet metal screw which held better and that cured the problem.

Hope it works for you icon_smile.gif

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI Education Committee

e-mail : education@nachi.org

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: dbush

Thanks Gerry, that makes sense. I will get some and go by and fix it for her. She is a pregnant single mom, so I will fix it for her.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dave,

The rubber idea under the grill is a good idea in addition to the oversized screws. It would certainly take care of much of the vibration that caused the oversized holes to begin with and since the metal is probably a little softer given the age of the unit it would probably stop it from happening again.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: matthew berman

dave, when you replace the screws on the a/c unit make sure the new screws are no longer than the old ones so you dont pierce the copper freon lines or condenser coil under the cover-----matt icon_sad.gif