Ohio

Originally Posted By: Elijah Schafer
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Anybody know when Ohio will pass it’s legislation to make sure inspectors are certified. I know it is in the process but how long does it usually take.

Originally Posted By: Elijah Schafer

Anybody do inspections in Ohio. I would like talk about how the market is for new inspectors.

Originally Posted By: jbrowning

I have just started business in Eastern OH. In my research of Home Inspections in this area, I found that it has not developed as quickly in this area as it has in other parts of the country. I am retired military starting small home based. No licensing yet in OH or Certification required. I am optimistic about potential.

![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif)

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

NACHI member (he quit ASHI last year) Fred Shaffer operates several offices in OH and PA. He also spoke on mold at our http://www.nachi.org/northshorechapter.htm meeting last weekend. He has a booming business.

He is very helpful.

http://www.nachi.org/memberlist/featured/s.htm

Nick

Ohio: Property Disclosure Form Set for Jan. 1

(December 15) -- Starting January 1, 2004, Ohio real estate agents and brokers must use a new residential property disclosure form issued by the Ohio Division of Real Estate and Professional Licensing. The new form covers areas not contained in the old form, including questions on boundary lines, assessments, shared driveways, and historic building districts. The revised form also includes a statement that the owner is not making any representations regarding off-site conditions and that buyers should investigate such matters on their own.

The revised form grew out of the activities of a task force appointed by the Ohio Association of REALTORS? (OAR) to review Ohio's disclosure practices. After evaluating procedures in 20 other states, the task force did not recommend changes to the law but did suggest the addition of some items on the form, according to Margaret Ritenour, vice president of legal services at the OAR. REALTORS? may not use the form until Jan. 1, 2004. Old forms executed by sellers prior to Jan. 1 are still valid after that date, and sellers do not need to complete a new form after Jan. 1.

?By Jane Adler for REALTOR? Magazine Online

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Nick

How does this affect HI's?

Mike P.

Mike:

A home inspection is supplemental to a seller's disclosure. In other words, we're not paid to uncover fraud (although sometimes do). A seller's disclosure is helpful as it requires the seller to let all know what they know. The new revision reminds sellers that off-site conditions are the buyers responsibility to determine. Although outside the scope of an inspection, I like any language that tells the buyer that they have inspection responsibilities. It indirectly reminds them to hire a home inspector.

Nick

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

The Ohio Bill was introduced in 1999 but I don’t think it ever went anywhere after that.

Actual Bill:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=123_HB_345

Analysis of Bill:

http://lsc.state.oh.us/coderev/anh123.nsf/All%20House%20Bills%20and%20Resolutions/29f2

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Nick

Do you have a link to that new form? Or a copy of it?

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: wwarner

The new disclosure form would make a great news letter topic

Maybe something to break the ice with some of the realtors.

Thanks Nick

Bill

Originally Posted By: wwarner

Erby (or anyone else who may know),

Any hearsay on if that bill is to be re-introduced?

Thanks

Bill

Originally Posted By: kleonard

[/url]

If these things are all true, I don't think we will have to worry about any new legislation in Ohio for quite some time. Although if some Lawmaker has a bad experience, that could all change.

On another note, besides the updated disclosure form mentioned above. Those who are licensed in Ohio to perform WDI inspection will in mid 2004 be required to show proof of insurance to the State of Ohio Dept. Agricultre.

Kevin Leonard
The-Home-Inspection-Company.com

Originally Posted By: Joe

Mike P:

Here's a link to the form in .pdf format...

http://www.com.state.oh.us/odoc/real/app/Residential%20Property%20Disclosure%20Form%20(Effective%201-1-04).pdf

--
Regards,
Joe O'Connell
Integrated Home Inspection
www.knowthehome.com