okay,

Originally Posted By: five.five
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

one more.

I don’t see any code violations here in regards to the T&P valve, and don’t want to start the “we are not code inspectors” thing, BUT, why the 90 degree elbow right out of the T&P?

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
P2803.6.1 Requirements of discharge pipe.
The outlet of a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof, shall not be directly connected to the drainage system. The discharge from the relief valve shall be piped full size separately to the floor, to the outside of the building or to an indirect waste receptor located inside the building. In areas subject to freezing, the relief valve shall discharge through an air gap into an indirect waste receptor located within a heated space, or by other approved means. The discharge shall be installed in a manner that does not cause personal injury or property damage and that is readily observable by the building occupants. The discharge from a relief valve shall not be trapped. The diameter of the discharge piping shall not be less than the diameter of the relief valve outlet. The discharge pipe shall be installed so as to drain by gravity flow and shall terminate atmospherically not more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor. The outlet end of the discharge pipe shall not have a valve installed.

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: five.five

I plan of looking up the manf. install instructions this afternoon.

I am in Houston area.

Darren

Originally Posted By: away

Manny,

What printing of the 2003 IRC do you have?

The reason I am asking is that the section you quoted does not match mine. Particularly the last sentence. My states "The outlet end... shall be threaded and such discharge pipe... valve installed".

And yes, it really says "shall be threaded". I sent an email to ICC to make sure that is a typo as in the 2000 IRC is says shall NOT be threaded.

The inside cover of mine goes up to the seventh printing (Nov. 2004).

It looks like when they added the threaded part between your printing and mine they goofed.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com