Traps on TPR discharge

Originally Posted By: escanlan
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Sec. 78-71. Adoption of International Residential Code.

The International Residential Code, 2000 Edition is hereby adopted as the city residential code.

(Ord. No. 12-18-01B, ? 1, 12-18-2001)

Sec. 78-72. Amendments.

The following amendments to the International Residential Code, 2000 Edition, as adopted as the city residential code, are adopted as follows:

Section P2803.6.1 shall be amended to read as follows:

P2803.6. Requirements for discharge. The outlet of a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof, shall not be directly connected to the drainage system. The discharge from the relief valve shall be piped full size separately to the outside of the building or to an indirect waste receptor located inside the building.

In areas subject to freezing, the relief valve shall discharge through an air gap into an indirect waste receptor located within a heated space, or by other approved means. The discharge pipe shall not discharge into the pan required in section P2801.5.

The discharge shall be installed in a manner that does not cause personal injury or property damage and that is readily observable by the building occupants. The discharge from a relief valve shall be trapped. The diameter of the discharge piping shall not be less than the diameter of the relief valve outlet.

The discharge pipe shall be installed so as to drain by gravity flow and shall terminate atmospherically. When discharging outside the building, the point of discharge shall be with the end of the pipe not more than two feet (610 mm) nor less than six inches (152 mm) above the ground or the floor level of the area receiving the discharge and pointing downward.

The end of the discharge pipe shall not be threaded.

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Manny…that has to be a TYPO! The IRC reads “The discharge from a relief valve shall not be trapped.” Even it it wasn’t a safety issue there is no logical reason for a trap on a TPR discharge line.

It's a pretty serious typo. You should contact that local AHJ and point it out to them.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Hi Richard,

I fell over laughing when I first saw that!! I know the IRC states no traps and at first thought they typo'ed it. I've contacted them with no replies from them.

I can just picture the catastrophe that would happen with a trapped line of cpvc, water heater in the attic (popular install here), at least 6+ 90 degree bends with piping from attic over second floor through walls to grade, trap completely clogged by bug nest (or some other blockage), only possible location for the trap would be the attic (in an attic install), and the TPR popping off!! ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Maybe they will respond by just sneaking the correction in??

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!