Opinions and Comments Wanted on foundation

Originally Posted By: aleleika
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

P1010028.JPG )

( Image: P1010027.JPG )

This is on the outside patio of the house. What these pics might not show is that there are two cracks like this in the patio which has made the patio into three sections and the middle section seems to be sinking and pitching toward the house.

Now lets go down to the basement directly on the inside of this section of patio.

( Image: P1010052.JPG )
( Image: P1010053.JPG )

That crack did not photograph well and is very small, but is vertical completely from top to bottom of the foundation wall. Directly above this crack there are water stains on the sill, joists and header. It is also important to note that between about three of the joists, there seems to be a gap forming where the joist meets the header (Rim Joist) above the sill. Right now the biggest gap is only about 1/4" or less, but a noticeable separation starting to happen. Here are some pics but they are not that well as my lens seems to have gotten smudged on.

( Image: P1010047.JPG )
( Image: P1010048.JPG )
( Image: P1010049.JPG )

Here are a couple angle cracks on the same wall within a couple of feet, showing water penetration.

( Image: P1010060.JPG )
( Image: P1010061.JPG )

The stains on the sill and joists did not seem recent and the wood was not rotting. There was a pool outside the patio at one time in the past and it was half above ground and half below ground. The owners had it removed a few years ago and when they had it drained they did not see where the workers were draining the water to. Now it seems like the soil under the patio is settling quite a bit.

Would a company like Perma-Seal be able to evaluate all that is possibly happening here. (under the patio & at the foundation wall)? Or do you need a structural engineer to look at it ( or is that overkill?)

--
A. Dan Leleika
www.a-teamhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: lewens

The vertical cracks in a foundation are not usually a structural issue. Having said that there seems to be a lot more going on here than just foundation cracks. The pool being removed a few years ago and the water drained near the foundation I believe would have shown up a long time ago. From the pictures and the description you have given I have to think there is a significant amount of water washing out under the patio which is causing the slab to sink. This is usually a cumulative effect which may have started when the pool was removed but for some reason has continued to present. Therein lays the rub. What has changed in the neighborhood or next door or in the water table or in the average rainfall or etc.etc. Something is going on to cause a change. If you call a reputable landscaping contractor, I think that should be your first step, he may be able to tell you what is going on as they usually keep up on what is happening aropund their area re grade,slope, and water table changes.

This is just my 12.5 cents and I’m sure you will here varying opinions as the day goes on. Sometimes it just takes one of us to stick our neck out on an opinion which opens the flood gates.

Good luck

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Thanks for your input Larry.

A. Dan Leleika

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif I agree with Larry that the cracks in the foundation are not structurally alarming, but the seepage of water through some of the cracks means water from somewhere is coming in.

The first picture, I noticed that the windows are below grade, the downspout extension tells me they are trying to rid the water from the foundation, settlement of the patio is extreme telling me water intrusion has taken place in the past to have it settle this much, also the stoop is settled drastically.
The lawn area appears to be covered with stone. This would not allow the rain water to wash out away from the house, but hold it in place and saturate the ground in the immediate area.

The second picture indicated erosion of some sort likely caused by falling water off the roof. The stoop also shows signs of have been topped with a topping of some sort over the years.

I agree with Larry, that over the years, something has changed to create all these problems. It appears, water is the culprit or has been and the extended downspout seems to give it away that someone is trying to get water away from the house.

Check with neighbors if possible if weather conditions have changed or landscape contractors in the area that might have worked on the property.

Good luck.

Thanks Marcel, All great input. One thing we have to remember is this is a pre-listing inspection…So I would think the owners are telling me everything that has happened on the property over the last few years.

Your absolutely right about the rocks (gravel) it was added after the pool was removed....and that is what changed. The downspout extensions that long are normal around here..I do believe that these gutters and downspouts were put on about 6 years ago with the new soffits and trim (oh you should see the ten year old roof where they forgot the soffit vents)(but that's another story)

Again Thanks Marcel ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
A. Dan Leleika

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Please advise if you figure it out, I would be curious to find out the cause.

I am sure the Owner told you what they know, but are they the original owners of the house since the problems occurred?

Marcel