Outlets at utility room

Does the 12’ rule apply at the utility room? Thanks

Laundry room.

No. It is considered a non-habitable room (in my area, at least).

Different AHJ, different rules, when I built here both the laundry room, (main floor) and the utility room (basement) had to be done to the minimum outlet rule and also had to be completely GFI’ed.

The 6’/12" rule does not apply. Here’s the NEC list of rooms required to comply with the 6’/12’ rule. GFCI protection is not required unless within 6’ of a sink.

Completely acceptable also here. In fact if that is an outside wall as a Contractor I would try all possible options to keep from putting one on an outside wall but the NEC rules don’t care about wall penetrations now do they.
Other area I hate to see them is behind the bed at mattress level so I am glad they at least have put in AFCI or GFCI protection as a standard today.
I can see in the picture that either a AFCI or GFCI has been added for the use of an Iron and plug in for a wash machine.

At $50+ a pop, I doubt that is an AFCI receptacle, when an AFCI breaker is only $35+ and protects the entire circuit.

Yes I agree again Jeffrey! At the panel whenever possible and this is what I mean.
But that is most likely a GFCI installed as I can just see the buttons with my super Eagle Eyes.:mrgreen:

Actually…you can find a Listed Outlet Branch Circuit type AFCI for about roughly the same dollar amount if you look hard enough.

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric-supply/Receptacles-Tamper-Resistant/Arc-Fault/search.aspx?SectionID=8&GroupID=94&CatID=1036&SubCatID=7547

Locally I have seen them sell for about $36.00 (+/- a buck) at electrical wholesale supply houses.

Yes they were GFCI’s.

Thanks for all the input.

[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]Just some incite on what’s potentially coming in the 2014 NEC Edition. I say potentially since we have yet an another stage of open and collective review call the ‘Nitmams’ that are going to be taking place next week in Chicago, IL. I will be their and if any of you are attending…look me up.

I believe a NITMAM was submitted on Section 210.12 regarding the “kitchen” in this list but I have not looked at the latest details. As of the ROC stage (which I attended) this language is still unchanged.

**(A) Dwelling Units. **
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and[/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Times-Roman]20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed
in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining
rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms,
sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas,
or similar rooms or areas shall be protected as described
by (1), (2), (3), or (4).

[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Bold][size=2][ROP 2–80, ROP 2–82a,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=Times-Bold]ROP 2–85]
[/size][/FONT]
[/size]