Over maximum breaker for HVAC

Just finished this home - Label on A/C unit specifies “Max overcurrent protection 30 amps”, but it has a 60Amp breaker… I AM reading it right, aren’t I?

Was it a heat pump system with electric supplemental heat?
Do you have a picture of the entire panel?

I usually see 60 amp for the electric supplemental heat or auxilary heat.

1 Like

The information is missing. Field installer is supposed to add it.

1 Like

Its an A/C with a heat strip in the air handler.

I thought maybe…

If you look close, through the overspray, it looks like the 30 amp breaker to the right of the 60 amp breaker has "AC’ written on it.

IMO the 60 amp would be for heat, or if a heat pump system, for supplemental heat.

2 Likes

Wonder if the “AH” on the 60 amp breaker is for “Alternative Heat” as in heat strips?

1 Like

I certainly could be reading the label wrong. But I agree with Kevin, 60 is pretty typical.

Tom, AH = air handler

I see the AC clearly on my screen. I do not know if this is better.
Screenshot 2023-01-10 152204

2 Likes

Makes sense! Duh me… :crazy_face:

From the model number at the bottom of the label I found this:

I’d have to agree - but it should be marked by the installer, right?

More information here. This is the actual heat-kit. I was reading the table (pg 4), and the CB may be oversized.

AG-FCEH-04.pdf (112.0 KB)

OK - that shows the same as the label…30amp.

1 Like

I think I am reading the image and chart correctly (electrical heating element model number is on the second line of the chart). The “26.0/28.4” is the minimum ampacity and “30/30” is the maximum overcurrent protection.

2 Likes

On Page 6, under Section B. “Internal circuit protection of 60 amps (maximum) is acceptable.” - Does that apply?

I would translate that statement as “inside this thing you might see internal circuit protection of upwards to 60 amps – ignore that, that’s on us – you have to comply with NEC code hooking this thing up and follow the table we gave you.”

1 Like

I found two answers that say no, it does not apply.
one from the kit .pdf

And one from the AH .pdf

1 Like

I hate to do it, but I’ll call it out and recommend an electrician…

1 Like

I would, and it is a good catch. A 60 amp Air handler circuit breaker might not have caught my eye because the are so frequent.

1 Like

Thanks for your help!