Paper Report

Originally Posted By: bemelander
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m looking for some help. I currently use a report that that is sold from the school I attended. I like the report but it’s the only one I’ve ever used.

I would like to know from those that use or have used paper reports where you get them and what you like or dislike about them.

I know some of you say computer generated is the only way to go, maybe some day.

Thanks
Bill

--
Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Bill,

I wouldn’t waste my time with paper reports. The computer generated reports are far superior than a hand written or typed report in many ways.

I have been using computer generated reports since 1995, my second year in business. I designed my own. The hours that I spent doing it, If they had decent programs like the do now back then, I would have bought one.

Try downloading some of the sample reports from the various venders and experiment with them. You can probably duplicate the report you have now with any of them. Storage now goes to several boxes to a couple of CDs.

In the long run, it will pay dividends.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Bill what school did you go to? Was it Inspection Depot? I’m using the Home Guide right now and can’t wait to run out of reports so I can buy new Inspection software. The Home Guide is over priced and over rated. I bought the software for it and it’s garbage. Porter Valley Inspectvue is where I’m going next, in about 17 more home inspections which should be next month.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: jruddy

Bill, I use Report Host and find it pretty user friendly. It is web based and you pay for only what you use. They give you several free reports and then additionals are mimimal, $ 5-6 I think.

I'm new to the business and it's a good way to start untilyou get things up and running.

Check it out at www.reporthost.com

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Bill -

Over 24 years I've used both checklists and typed reports. There are real $hitty checklists and real crappy typed reports. Both camps are sold on their own stuff. I use both at the current time. I do a lot of expert witness and I've never had a typed report I couldn't rip apart in court.

Most guys that type say too much or say it wrong. As a rule of thumb the guys that use the 30 plus page typed reports almost always leave holes for someone like me to use to rip them up - or they're so wordy they end up confusing everyone and saying nothing.

However, if someone has poor spelling, sloppy handwriting, and is new to the business and don't have a lot of experience a computerized report may be best for them. It helps make them look like they know what they're talking about.

Having said all this - do what feels good for you.

Originally Posted By: dcampbell

Porter Valley InspectVUE is great just started using it and wow This is the 4 the software I have tried and love it

Originally Posted By: jmurray

bemelander wrote:
I'm looking for some help. I currently use a report that that is sold from the school I attended. I like the report but it's the only one I've ever used.

I would like to know from those that use or have used paper reports where you get them and what you like or dislike about them.

I know some of you say computer generated is the only way to go, maybe some day.

Thanks
Bill

Bill,
I am thinking about using the paper reports as a rough copy (during inspection) to remind myself what items need to be put on my finished copy of my computer generated report! I get a little riled up when the notes that I've taken during the inspection are hard to understand, incomplete or totally forgotten! It's not at all hard to do!

Palm handhelds are slow to me so, I don't use them!

The reporting software can be expensive but, I think there are many pay per use programs that charge $5.00 or $10.00 per report generated!

You may ask why do both then?? I personally feel that the computer generated reports are much much more professional and you can impute photo's within specific regions that are germane to the photo's inspection category. Also, you can keep a copy of the report indefinitely!
You can e-mail the software report!

I would use the "pre-fabed" paper report as a reminder checklist only!

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!

Originally Posted By: bemelander

Let’s try this differently.

I have been using the same paper report for three years, most of the inspectors in the area use a paper reports, my clients like the paper report.

What I want to know is who else uses them where do you get them and why do they like the ones they use.

Thanks for the replies

Bill

--
Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jedwards

bemelander wrote:
I have been using the same paper report for three years, most of the inspectors in the area use a paper reports, my clients like the paper report.

Bill

Bill, sorry to add another answer to a question you didn't ask, but... If most of your competition is using a paper report, and your clients like the paper report, they will *love* a computer generated report with digital photos, and you'll gain a real advantage over your competition.

I'm also currently using Report Host, which has its pros and cons, but it's a good intro to computer-based reporting, and with 30 free initial reports for NACHI members, it's kind of a no-brainer if you aren't ready to spend four figures on a software package.

Just my .02, and worth what it cost ya...

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: jmurray

bemelander wrote:
Let's try this differently.

What I want to know is who else uses them where do you get them and why do they like the ones they use.

Thanks for the replies

Bill

Good luck!

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

jedwards wrote:
I'm also currently using Report Host, which has its pros and cons, but it's a good intro to computer-based reporting, and with 30 free initial reports for NACHI members, it's kind of a no-brainer if you aren't ready to spend four figures on a software package.

Just my .02, and worth what it cost ya...

Reporthost dropped it down to 15 free reports...still not a bad deal...of course as soon as I got done with my "free reports" I've had the best month I've ever had, so have a pretty good bill, I'm sure ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Bill:

ITA has a NCR Checklist report format.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: pmooney

Hey Bill,

I use ITA's Matrix binder available from Professional Equipment. I like the fact that, being a 3-ring binder, I can easily add additional pages of info to customize it to each property.

--
Paul Mooney
Southeastern Michigan NACHI Chapter President
heritage@se-michigan-nachi.org
www.se-michigan-nachi.org
Heritage Home Inspection
Waterford, MI

Originally Posted By: jrooff

Bill what are you using now? I use AHIT’s book but am changing to ITA Matrix report a little pricey but reads easier, I’ve showed some none inspector friends and asked witch one seemed easier to read and navigate. ITA won and I agree with the pick too.

Originally Posted By: jrabanus

If I may reccomend something, I would use reporthost for someone just starting out. When I started out I bought a $600 computer program that is not very “user friendly”. I wish reporthost was here when I started out

Josh Rabanus

Originally Posted By: tallen

Josh,

May I ask what program you are referring to?

Pm me if you would prefer to not name names.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jrabanus

I used 3d inspection system, but it was 4 years ago. They may have improved it since. But in there defense it made a beautiful report.

Josh Rabanus

Originally Posted By: tallen

I use a similar reporting program( R3), and the customers and agents love it. I would never go back to a check sheet type reporting system.

To each his own. Hey, if it works for you then by God that’s what you should use. icon_biggrin.gif

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Hi Bill,

Eric is correct with regards to Paper Reports. Yes there are some HI's who still use Paper Reports, but who are only kidding themselves. I'm not downplaying the Paper Reports, but all successful HI's use Computer Generated Reports, this really reflects your professionalism!

Most high line Realtors only accept Computer Generated with Digital Photos. This is a must!!

Like all things, one can generally tell a newbie in the Industry by the way they provide their reports. Most newbies us the ITA like, Matrix Reports, which is great for starters. I used them for years, but it is almost imperative that experienced inspectors now use Computer Generated Reports.

I started using "ReportHost" I year ago or so, and find it very easy, straightforward and inexpensive to use. I was not ready to spend $3 to 4,000.00 on a full blown program with Lap Top, etc.

Also, I like the idea of doing your report at home and not having to spend an additional hour or so at the job site. That is just my preference. Many inspectors such as Joe Hagarty prefer to do them on site. Each has it's own benefit.

Many choices, but most agree, Computer Generated is the professional's choice and way to go!!

My $.02 worth ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif) ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Ron.

--
The highest compliment my clients can give me, is the referral of their Friends, Family and Business Associates!

NorCal NACHI Chapter Founder and Chairman.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Ron -

Different areas - different modus. In my area the sure sign of a NEWBIE, is that many can't write a complete sentence that anyone can read - so they FLOCK to the computer generated reports.

The computer generated report will help disguise the lack of experience of a new inspector. Just my $0.05 worth.