Philadelphia, PA

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Thanks Andy:

That does it. Joe H. & Dave B. gotta go to Singapore!

Nick

Originally Posted By: awong

ot Another Cranky Home Inspector eusa_silenced.gif

Originally Posted By: Phillip R. Hinman

To Everyone,

I appreciate the fact that I can come and post to your site and say the things that are on my mind. I still feel as though NACHI is the organization of the future.

I guess we will all no more about the industry after ASHI's national meeting. One of my mentors is attending and he and I speak frankly about the pros and cons of ASHI and their impact in New Jersey.

A test is a test for what it is worth. The on-line test offered by NACHI with at least one choice for each question being a joke took me by surprise. I am personally shocked at the failure rate!! I'm 55 years old and my best written test days are behind me and I still think that test is way too easy!!

Some one posted that a test is only one part of the equation and I agree. I had several students in the classes I took pass the national exam with flying colors but will need all 50 mentored inspection and 250 supervised inspections to be able to handle an HI professionally.

Experience is and always will be the galvanizing factor which makes a good HI!

Hey Andy thanks for the humor!! I did not know they had HI's in Singapore. Let me know when you have a few brothels to inspect and I will be on the first flight over!

Nick, JC emailed about the NJ meeting later Sunday morning. Thanks for the nudge?

As far as entry to NACHI goes it seems to me that at this time it is easy and I'm ok with that. The newbies can contribute $$$ to the cause.

As far as marketing goes as a newbie it is important to me, at least. I called several NACHI inspectors in my area to ask about the referral process and they all seemed happy and have gotten a fair share of contacts.

Only disappointed not pi$$ed!

Thanks for the forum,

Phil

Originally Posted By: awong

Quote:
we have vacancies for HI mentors, free accommodation, transport & ![eusa_whistle.gif](upload://jDjRTI67WYP0oRBoAiUfREM5WMO.gif) ?mate? provided.
Guaranteed you don?t have to worry about marketing for next five years.

Andy Wong
NACHI Singapore Chapter

We are Not Another Cranky Home Inspector.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Phil,

Many say the NACHI entrance exam is too easy, many also say the NHIE exam is too hard. With NACHI, one can not join without first exhibiting general knowledge of the profession. Our brethern on the other side let you in, take your money then tell you that you need to do a lot more work which is going to cost you a lot more money. How would you feel about paying hundreds of dollars to become a home inspector, then after you join, find out you are going to have to pay thousands more for education to achieve that MEMBER status?

Surely, being in a code related field helped you out with many of the questions, to the point that if anyone does not know them you consider yourself superior. There are many people out there that did not have the benefit of your background and therefore would not have any idea of what the answer was to those questions. Just because you were in a related field does not make you smarter, just makes you more capable of answering the questions.

Certainly you can understand this is not about taking money from people that have no idea if they really want to join this profession, it is about making sure they want to be in this profession before they spend lots of money.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

way to go, joe…

nicely put...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Guest

The amount of money to take a test like the NHIE is a drop in the bucket compared to other costs involved, the most notable being E&O. If anyone thinks that they’re going to get incorporated, buy the tools of the trade, obtain necessary education, promote the business and buy computer necessities for a hundred bucks, then their grasp on reality is limited.

ASHI isn’t a mandatory org. If you don’t want to join, then don’t. Like it or not, the standard is currently the NHIE. It pulls more weight than any other test. One of the reasons is that it’s a proctored test, has no throw away answers and only serious people take it because they have to pay to take it.

I’m pretty sure the bar exam, if given on line, would begin to lose credibility.

The issue is so obvious that it’s almost moot.

As far as generating income for the sake of it, NACHI really has no requirement for the applicant other than a signature, a passing grade on an easy test and a check in their hands for 289.00.

Off topic here, but the money that goes to promote NACHI obviously is member generated in large. Some lucky guy got a check for over 900.00 for mouse pads that promote his business and carry the NACHI logo.

The distribution of that money seems largely discretionary and if every member wanted to co-op 900 bucks worth of advertising the org would have to say NO. If I’d paid my dues and NACHI arbitrarily gave one member the equivalent of 3 1/2 years dues, I’d be pretty ticked off.

Chad:

Responses in order:

I agree that the cost of an exam isn't going to prevent someone from going into the business. I've said that many times. NACHI's exam isn't free to accommodate the inspector who is willing to pay for everything required to go into business, but unwilling to pay the price of the exam. That's silly. The real reason NACHI's Inspector Examination is both online and free is so we (not another association) can have all the data necessary to determine the appropriateness of a question and to evaluate it according to established psychometric standards. This evaluation can't be done unless you have data, data for every question, data for every answer, etc. NACHI now has amassed more data on this than any other association. NACHI's Online Inspector Examination with it's built-in intelligence has now been taken over 14,000 times.

Luckily for us it is easy for about 1/2 the inspectors who wish to join NACHI

Lucky for the consumer it is difficult for 1/2 the inspectors who want to join NACHI.

Lucky for everyone it isn't based on how easy you or I think it is, but on actual data http://exams.nachi.org/stats.php which is published, not hidden like the NHIE's (which by the way has a higher passing rate).

Win-Win-Win.

You are mistaken about the requirements to join NACHI. The blind can't join NACHI but can join several other national associations as an associate or candidate at least. http://www.nachi.org/blind.htm

No lucky guy ever got a check for $900 for mousepads to promote his business and carry the NACHI logo. Several members subsidized NACHI's mousepad promotion by ordering their mousepads themselves, paying for the mousepads themselves, and delivering the mousepads themselves, all at a cost to NACHI of only 1/2 the manufacturing of the mousepad itself. The other 1/2 of our manufacturing costs and all shipping and delivery to agents costs were paid for by that member voluntarily. Since the mousepads have a link to EVERY member http://www.FindanInspector.US ...AND... we do our mousepad promotion http://www.nachi.org/mousepad.htm free for members anyway (In other words we usually have to pay the other 1/2 of manufacturing costs and eat all the distribution costs to boot), NACHI won. The member won. And most importantly, since the mousepads he ordered and distributed will generate business for other NACHI members who didn't have to spend a penny or do anything...many other NACHI members won. WIN-WIN-WIN. (hey where have I heard that recently?)

It is not so discretionary. NACHI carefully considers, but has never turned down supporting any proportional NACHI-to-member advertising idea. If you have a promotional idea and NACHI and www.FindAnInspector are featured by roughly taking up 1/3 of the ad, we'll pay 1/3. 1/2, we'll pay 1/2. 1/4th, we'll pay 1/4th.

The more advertising the better.

Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise.

Nick

chad’s probably not interested, anyway…

OK, I'm done now.

--
Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Guest

I’m not really too interested in mouse pads, and I’m really going to stop irritating people now. I realize I have no damn business being critical, and if I want to join or not, it’s my prerogative. I’ll stop telling everyone what keeps me from joining and stick to the technical stuff.

Joe:

The interesting about Chad is that he gets "pretty ticked-off" because our members get so much in return for their dues. Truth be told, all our members get much more than their $289 membership dues IMHO.

Chad:

Stick around, dish it out, take some too.

Nick

OK, I'm done now.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Quote:

I'm not really too interested in mouse pads, and I'm really going to stop irritating people now. I realize I have no damn business being critical, and if I want to join or not, it's my prerogative. I'll stop telling everyone what keeps me from joining and stick to the technical stuff.
OK, I'm done now, Chad

The mousepads promote NACHI and www.findaninspector.us. Both good for all NACHI members.

Don't stop posting stuff and being critical. Healthy, polite, debate helps NACHI as a whole and all of us individually.

Don't stop telling us. It keeps us evaluating those objections. Thanks for the technical stuff also.

Stick around. It's good for you and good for NACHI.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

gromicko wrote:
Truth be told, all our members get much more than their $289 membership dues IMHO.

Chad:

Stick around, dish it out, take some too.

Nick

OK, I'm done now.

Nick, I agree with your comment about NACHI members getting much more than their dues in return.

As for Chad. I've read his posts here and other places. Seems like a very smart guy. For some reason, when it comes to NACHI he becomes emotional or just doesn't get it.

Sounds like a guy I knew who fell in love with the first woman he ever met. Spent the rest of his life lusting after other women.

Go ahead Chad and keep trying to convince yourself that you don't love us. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

To All:

I contacted the Philadelphia Licence Issuance office ( Paul Dinella )
215-686-2487 . He called later today and spoke with Nanci in my office.

The NACHI exam is unacceptable in any form (Proctored or otherwise) by the City of Philadelphia. He stated that: "Philadelphia will not be the Groundbreaker for NACHI".

ASHI Exam or NAHI Exam Only.

I do not know if this is his Personal opinion or the Official opinion of the City of Philadelphia. He is unable to present or send anything in writing. (Nothing received as of yet by Fax). I will continue to work towards obtaining someone that can state an official position of the City of Philadelphia and back it up with something in writing rather than a verbal statement of opinion.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Joe:

I got almost the same answer myself today. The funny thing is that there is no mention of testing in the Philly law at all. L&I Dept. wants everyone to pass the NHIE but gave existing full NAHI members a pass because they already had to take and pay for a proctored exam.

Chad:

Hang in there.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

I am still waiting to get that position statement of the testing requirement in writing.

No excuses and nothing less will do.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Why will they not even consider the proctored version of the NACHI exam? Which community colleges in the immediate area to Philly use it?

Joe Farsetta

Delaware Community College (very near).

Northampton Community College.

Couple others.

Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth though.

Nick

Which gift horse is that? I fail to see how getting pissed on by Philly is some sort of gift horse! If Philly is only accepting NAHI and ASHI members, then we will have failed. We should not be sitting back, at all.

I cant, for the life of me, see how this obvious negative can be spun into anything positive... at all. What am I missing?

--
Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Chad,

If you were like to join ASHI and spend thousands of dollars, instead of spending hundreds by all means go ahead.

You my friend are in the company of people that are telling you that you have to do it their way, or the highway. I choose the highway, it was cheaper, faster and it was better for me and many others here.

You are laying claim to this NHIE proctored test being so great, when in fact it was created and paid for by ASHI. Not only did ASHI create and pay for the exam, their members also make up the questions. Here is a question for you, if the NHIE is so great then why do the members add questions to it continually? Maybe they are tying to make it harder for newbies to become full members which would certainly make them look they were just as qualified as the veterans! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

You certainly seem to have all the answers but you must be asking the wrong questions from the right people. Know what I mean! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

BTW...there are tests out there for home inspectors that were created, funded and proctored by people that have absolutely nothing to do with, you guessed it, home inspectors.

You my friend are one seriously misguided individual. Now we all know who you have been keeping company with!

Joe Myers