Philadelphia, PA

Originally Posted By: jhagarty
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://kyw.com/Local%20News/local_story_105133939.html

http://phic.info/philalaw.htm

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe H.

Ahh, NO! I really doubt that anyone would want to pay to be licensed in Philly anyway. As you may or may not know, the only benefit to licensing in Philly is that the seller would not have to contact the city codes enforcement officer to inspect the house and to provide the U & O certificate. Not really our problem since we are representing the buyer. Every buyer that I did one for was more or less, so what that is their problem! Point, Set and Match!

Sounds like the city of philadelphia is going to try to resolve its financial woes with home inspector fees. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) HA

Joe Myers

Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: jmyers

President Hagarty,

I believe it is time we get our test proctored, so all may enjoy the benefits fo saying that our test has nothing to do with us. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

I received a call from an Inspector today that received his Philadelphia license. There are only 21 Home Inspectors within the City of Philadelphia that can Legally perform a Home inspection.

NACHI Members need not apply.

Philadelphia L & I Interpretation translates to ASHI Only. We need to address this Issue in some form.

NACHI Members are being harmed due to some Uninformed Government Employed individuals interpretation of this law. We need to address this issue as it will have ramifications Statewide if left unchallenged.

--
Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I agree. If they cant beat us on the state level, they will lower their sites and attempt to crush us at the city or county level.

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: kpapp

I do believe that would be discrimination against nachi for not allowing nachi members to work within city limits…Looks like the city set them selfs up for a suit IMO. Ken

If you dont have time to do it right the first time, When will you have the time to go back and fix it?

Originally Posted By: rpalac

The city’s reason for not accepting NACHI is because our test is not proctored and anyone could be behind the computer while taking the test.

I was told that the city will accept the NACHI membership but additionally they would want to see other forms of testing that are proctored to go along with that (example the trascript from the jersey testing fafilior code testing as provided by the IC).

This would be brought to the board and then decided on.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Robert,

If you pass the NHIE and join NACHI, can you then get the license?

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I really don’t think Philly is being very unfair to us. If ASHI members must pay and travel and pass a proctored exam, and NAHI members must pay and travel and pass a proctored exam, why should NACHI members not have to?

There are several proctored exams a Philly NACHI member could take to get licensed including the NHIE (which all ASHI members must take).

The Community Colleges continually offer to proctor NACHI's exam for NACHI...nationwide.

See http://www.nachi.org/dccc.htm

But if we do it, will it lead to proctored exams for all members?

Nationwide the Community Colleges are all going into the home inspector continuing education business and want their programs and testing to be NACHI based.

They have already offered to proctor all of Philly for us at their campus computer centers, all we have to do is send a Notary Public to verify I.D.

I don't think it much matters because just like in every other state that licenses home inspectors using the NHIE... after they get licensed... most then look for the best association to join and choose NACHI.

A licensed inspector is likely in the business full-time and his home inspection business is likely his main source of income. In other words, HI isn't just a part-time hobby to someone who acquires a license. His/her business is how he/she feeds his/her family. Anyone relying primarily on their home inspection business for their livelihood is going to invest the 79 cents a day (NACHI membership dues) and join.

Nick

Quote:
4.) A member of one of two recognized and accepted organizations.
ASHI or NAHI

If that is the case, I guess they cant be recognized if they pass the NHIE and join NACHI. Am I missing something?

Yes, you’re missing something.

All licensing throught the US requires a proctored exam. I think this makes some sense and don't think Philly is being unreasonable here. Read my post above.

It is no different than states that require the passing of the NHIE as part of their licensing requirements.

Nick

Philly is a very odd situation:

First, the Philly law says nothing about examinations.

Furthermore, Philly is within the state of PA which has an existing home inspector law.

The state of PA's law does not require a proctored exam, but requires membership in a national association like NACHI.

Therfore since Philly is within PA I would think you must comply with both government's regs to operate in Philly.

Nick

Okay, I am still looking for a brick eusa_wall.gif

I understand that in many states inspectors join NACHI after passing the NHIE. I DID. But my county doesn't require my membership in ASHI or NAHI. (and don't tell them that or they probably will) Are other states, cities and counties requiring the tests AND membership, or is this unique to Philly. I think most inspectors would not consider all the money for ASHI, then additional $$ for NACHI.

My thought is simply this, and if you disagree with me that's ok. I think that a city, state or county requiring membership in a particular association as a requirement for the government issued license sets a bad precedent for all of us. I am county licensed with all of the crapola that most states are requiring, but I was free to choose NACHI instead of others. Had I been forced into NAHI or ASHI, I may have thought differently of being and inspector again.

Blaine ![eusa_wall.gif](upload://hILV5Z8gRVLwzVpRIDJEm01uB52.gif)

Agreed.

Nick, I believe getting Philly to accept a proctored version of the NACHI exam, performed via the Community College route, would be a HUGE boost to the credibility of the NACHI exam.

It would be kind of hard to argue it is not a valid test, if the Community Colleges are using it, and proctoring it. I say it's a needed boost. It would also paint Philly in an unfavorable light, if they still chose to dis us after meeting their proctoring requirements.

We need to do this.

--
Joe Farsetta

I spoke with a Philadelphia Licensed Inspector today.

Philadelphia does not request a score or passage on the NHIE exam. They are requesting your NAHI and/or ASHI Member number for the form.

--
Joseph Hagarty

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Nick,

You had said,

Quote:
"First, the Philly law says nothing about examinations.

Furthermore, Philly is within the state of PA which has an existing home inspector law.

The state of PA's law does not require a proctored exam, but requires membership in a national association like NACHI.

Therefore since Philly is within PA I would think you must comply with both government's regs to operate in Philly."

This is true except that any municipality in a state may supercede a governig requirement, they just can't lessen or not require a govermental requirement.

So by asking for the test to be proctored they are within there right to stiffen the requirements.

It's similar to most Federal laws or codes....They set the minimum standard. Each state stiffens the standard with there additional requirements. The each municipal governing body has the right to further there requirements as long as it doe not negate constitutionalism or legality.

The state of PA say's to be recognized in Pa you must be a full member of an association that is recognized in ten other states. This cut's the deck down to very few associations. Philly didn't say they wont accept our membership when I spoke to them as noted above. They said we had to have a proctored exam along with the Nachi membership or ASHI and NAHI are already fully recognized because they require there exams to be proctored.

The biggest problem is that the city has too many people not sure of all the fact's 100% as of this time. There announcement is suppose to be release this week in the news bulletin from the city.

Bottom line is they make us not look so favorable.

Not fair to us but legal.

Bob

Philly is requiring proof of passing a proctored exam which an ASHI full membership number provides. We can proctor any Philly inspector that needs it, any time they want, as by luck NACHI headquarters in Valley Forge is local to Philly. This would be free.

The Community Colleges already agreed to proctor for us nationwide should it be ever required elsewhere. This would be free to members.

In PA, the PA DEP accepts any family-unrelated practicing school teacher or professor as a valid proctor as well. This cost would be negotiated between member and teacher.

So I don't think a member who needs proctoring for his local jurisdiction should have any trouble getting it.

Nick

proctor. The community college setting would be excellent, and bring added credibility to our exam. Let’s face it, certain things in NACHIs future will have to exist in the real world, not just cyberspace. This current situation could be used as a spring board for our exam being recognized as a valid licensing tool. I think we should absolutely JUMP at the chance.

Let's do this...

Also, where are we with having our exam recognized officially and in writing by a national accredition org, as to being a valid psychometric exam? I remember talking about this back in the summer...

--
Joe Farsetta

by the American Educational Research Association, the American Psychological Association and the National Council on Measurement in Education.

It is a very straightforward, well laid-out standard.

Do you really want to go into the licensing-exam providing business? After initial licensing (which everyone has to do wherever licensing is first adopted), no veteran inspectors ever have to do it again. In states where licensing has existed for some time, the only people who want or care about taking a licensing exam (remember...you typically only have to take and pass it once) are newbies. Right now NACHI attracts mostly veteran inspectors (mostly because its mostly newbies in the 50% of applicants who can't pass our entrance exam and the benefits NACHI offers are most attractive to existing operations). Do you really want to weaken our overall genetic stock (no offense to newbies) with an infiltration of newbies which is what happens when you offer a licensed exam (see the huge candidate to member ratio at ASHI!). I say offering a licensing exam will end up being a lead generator for newbies.

Nick

PS. I don't mean to offend any newbies (new-to-the-industry guys) with my comments. You are all very welcome at NACHI. I'm just trying to look for our overall membership stock.