Philadelphia, PA

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

No, Nick… I think you’re missing the point.

Currently, there is really only one canned and "recognized" HI exam (recognized en masse by legislators throughout the US). The difference between them and us is that our exam requires the honor system, and theirs you have to show up to pass.

Now, I'm not suggesting making the NIE a once-only exam. Nor am I suggesting taking it off-line. To the contrary, we keep it as is, along with requiring and allowing our inspectors to continue to take it yearly on line. If your local jurisdiction or state requires taking a proctored exam, as proof that the applicant actually took the exam, we offer a proctored version in that state or municipality. It will satisfy the local ordinance, and still require continued passing on an annual basis. The local ordinance may require you take it only once. You do so in person which meets their criteria. Thereafter, you are still required to take the NACHI exams annually (NIE, COE, SOP).

This is what I am saying.

For places requiring no proctored exam, we continue with business as usual. I propose this as a service to our members. Why should a NACHI member have to take an ASHI exam. For that matter, why shouldn't NACHI make it that they need take but one exam for both a NACHI membership and a municipal requirement?

The real benefit to this is to ALL NACHI members, hopefully, by finally having our exam recognized by a licensing body. Philly is ideal and unique. It exceeds the state's mandate, and is so close to NACHI headquarters you could spit and hit it.

As to the psychometric portion of our exam, ASHI touts theirs is the only compliant test around. We discussed having our test accredited as meeting the same criteria. Unfortunately, WE cannot say is is, an outside org with the credentials to make that determination must.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

so to speak, leaving NACHI with the cream off the top.

Nick

P.S. I live near Philly and the inner city is rough. Every night a house burns to the ground, gas leaks, sewer back ups, collapses, CO poisoning, lead paint, aaahhh. Philly's Labor and Industry is setting up these licensed inspectors to take a fall by essentially deputizing them all. The last inspector that missed something that caused a death, went to jail in Philly. Furthermore you need a city business license on top of it. Then you have to pay 4 1/2 percent of gross to the city (that's almost a franchise fee!) Philly is the place NOT to be.

I have a reporter friend who will be showing up at the L&I Dept. with a camera crew the first time someone ends up dying in a dump after an inspection. She'll be asking L&I why they have uncertified (non-NACHI) home inspectors in Philly. It will be all over TV, but most importantly Joe... you, me, and NACHI won't. Philly ain't the place for this battle. ASHI already lost it.

I think we need to decide if we are a marketing org or a HI org.

If we are the former, we have no say in how we are treated by the likes of ASHI, NAHI, IHINA, et al.

If we are the latter, we need to fight for recognition and legitimacy in the eyes of the legislators.

If we are both, then we need to be just that. I believe we are, and should continue to be, both.

If we are regarded as a marketing tool, more than a HI org, our credibility in local RE offices will be shot. No one will care of we are NACHI members. It will stand for hype.

I believe the only road we are travelling down is the road which will help ALL inspectors. Marketing, licensing, knowledge, veteran and new inspectors, bang for your buck, and a top-notch org to say the least.
Kinda hard to avoid the light, when it's shining right in your face.

--
Joe Farsetta

Don't concern yourself with getting the newbies licensed by offerning another alternative proctored exam. Only stupid inspectors think that taking the NHIE means that they have to join ASHI. Let ASHI have that stupid candidate. 1/2 their membership is full of stupid candidtes.

Do concern yourself with getting the best veteran inspectors to join NACHI by offering them what they want and need to be better and more successful.

NACHI is a non-profit organization with the following published corporate charter: Helping home inspectors achieve financial success and maintain inspection excellence.

I helped process applications from veteran inspectors all week along with a few newbie applications. I like the newbies. I just don't want to do anything that would turn our veteran/newbie ratio upside down.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Phillip R. Hinman

Nick,

I was getting very close to joining NACHI but now I have a few more concerns. After reading this thread I almost feel like an outcast. Joe Myers knows my intentions.

I would have joined almost immediately if it wasn't for the online test which I found utterly ridiculous. I passed it in 15 minutes and was immediately notified that I was eligible for membership. I think I got a 91. A friend of mine got a 98. I sent the website address to several students and that exam threw up a huge flag for all of us. We all considered it a farce.

Furthermore I saw statements in the threads of how many people don't get a passing grade. Ludicrous! Passing grade for that exam should be 90!

Now I see on this thread that newbies are implied second class citizens.
This is how ASHI makes us feel. Tell me why I shouldn't feel that way after reading your posts.

You gave me an email address to contact about New Jersey meeting and no one has gotten back to me. I found out from others in Northern NJ that they attend NY meetings. With no presence here in Jersey I am looking at the group just started. I have gotten emails from them addressing my questions to them. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I am now putting off joining any organization until I find out what the new guys are about. I had the education chairman for 2 classes. He is presently trying to organize a mentoring program. He feeling is that if he is teaching the courses he should provide an avenue to get the students mentored. And for no or very little fee! During the 2 classes I had with him he was extremely upset by the costs of getting into the business in NJ. Although at the time a staunch ASHI advocate he was unhappy with their money making aspect and the cost to join for the new guys. I spent 60 hours with this guy and he is genuine as far as I can tell. If what I'm told is true about the mentoring program he is setting up, then he put his money where his mouth is!

I too have volunteered my time to the new students in the business. I offered to be the lead on a mentoring program I suggested to the SJ ASHI group. No one has come forth to implement the idea. I wanted a list of ASHI members who REALLY wanted to mentor and there are some. I would then match up the students to the available mentors. My thought here is the mentor will not get bombarded with calls as they have been and the mentorees would have some reason of hope that they can get through the process. We all would have a handle on the REAL needs and resources.

I will join the organization that services ALL members and that may be none! I have 35 years experience in residential/commercial construction and have my own set of issues with newbies. I sat in class for 10 weeks with up to 35 others, mostly people with little of no practical experience. Yes this is a problem, for them. If they can not do the job they will get weeded out of the industry if they can then they should be welcomed and helped.

Today I'm am disappointed with NACHI.

At least here I can say what I want!

Phil

Originally Posted By: awong

Singapore Chapter

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

Quote:
Nick

P.S. I live near Philly and the inner city is rough.

Nick et all, I have been going down to Philly once a year for about 10 years now, stay at the holiday inn by the stadium, walk downtown and all over, I have to agree that Philly has gone way downhill in that time !!!! politics at work ????

Andy Wong,

Are you serious regarding your resignation? Considering that you reside half-way around the world, I cant understand your expectations... unless of course you were being sarcastic and toying with us.

Which is it?

--
Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Joe,

Maybe I am just in my jovial Sunday morning mode, but I took that (awong's post) as a huge sarcastic slap at the previous post about having second thoughts about joining NACHI.

But.........I could be wrong! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Cold up there today??

Its so cold, my nipples are hard enough to cut glass icon_lol.gif

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Nick:

I personally believe the Philadelphia issue must be addressed. For some reason (not published or clearly stated) NACHI is not being recognized by the City of Philadelphia.

I agree with Nick that the quality of housing stock in many areas of the City is in Poor condition. With the current Philadelphia law, Consumers are being denied access to the availability of a Trained, Qualified, Licensed and Insured Home Inspector. They are being given access to a limited number of ASHI Members.

Who is this licensing law designed to protect???

I will attempt to contact someone in Philadelphia this week on behalf of NACHI to address and rectify this issue.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

To Joe Farsetta’s comment regarding a Licensing exam:

I want to see the NACHI On-Line Exam remain in place as an initial requirement as well as being an annual requirement of passage.

I would also hope to see the development of a Proctored NACHI Endorsed Licensing exam similar in format but in addition to the NIE exam. One that would be acceptable to State, Municipal and Provincial Authorities.

Licensing will be an issue for many years to come and it will come. I believe our goal should be to develop an alternative exam or endorse the EBPHI exam where licensing is in place. Those are the alternatives.

--
Joseph Hagarty

factor in their stock of agents, I must do the same for NACHI. We do this mostly by making our membership benefits http://www.nachi.org/benefits.htm biased toward attracting veteran inspectors.

I will have our serious proctored version of our exam available for anyone who wants it. I'll start putting it all together Monday morning.

I meant no offense to individual newbies who are certainly welcome here, I just wanted to honestly remind all that I have to think of NACHI as a whole as well.

Nick

Phil Hinman:

The NACHI Exam has a passage rate of 50%. It is a test that is ever changing and developing. It is an exam to test your working knowledge of the industry.

Your ability to pass the test does not necessarily mean it is an easy test. Passage is also not a determination of your intelligence. It simply means you know and understand the information.

As to your comment that the test is ridiculous and being a farce. Each day I receive calls from individuals that are unable to pass the NACHI exam looking for additional resource information for study material. Some of these calls come from individuals with advanced degrees in Business, Computers and Engineering.

Speaking with and meeting some of these individuals, I do not share your opinion.

--
Joseph Hagarty

NHIE passing rate 60%.

NACHI’s passing rate 51%

Both have hovered around these passing rates for the past 2 years.

Now, one last (personal) argument for licensing (and I know a lot of you are against it including my friend Joe Farsetta):

A licensed inspector is a free inspector. Free to join any association, free to leave.

A free inspector is most often, eventually, going to choose NACHI.

This is about as pro-licensing of an argument I dare speak as NACHI doesn't have an official posotion on licensing and we have intelligent opinions voicing both sides of this.

Nick

Nick,

You just wrote that the NHIE passing grade is 60%. I understand that a passing grade is 500 for ASHI membership, and most state licenses, and that the score doesn't reflect a percentage of the score because the questions are weighted due to differing difficulties.

My county required a passing score of 75% on the exam, so I asked the head of licensing what that qualified as since the score I got didn't give a passing % just a numbered score. He stated that it translated into 600.

Any of that make sense??

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Phil,

May I comment on your message.....?

I am a newbie to NACHI and seasoned inspector for private industry. I have done lot's of consulting against so called inspectors and that's why I decided to go legitimate and get a certification and licensing where it applies.

I understand your concerns, however, THERE IS NO PERFECT WORLD>>>>

In defense of most organizations, it is very hard to please the crowd. Unfortunately we as humans do feel very righteous when we obtain a status and creates a cast system of others entering after us. This is throughout every industry. The newby is always treated as an apprentice or lesser.

One very specific notable difference in NACHI than the other orgs I did not choose to go with is the fact that they have a greater comerodery and ideals to be the best. It shows in there willingness to improve constantly. If you view over the last year you can see many new changes for the benefit of all who log on. You can also see the openness to speak your mind (right or wrong, pro or con) on every subject.

Nick has been very pro-active in a lot of movement in new ideas and better ideals. An example is the board he is posing on another thread. I am not saying he is the only person by far. There are a lot of great individuals with similar goals. Those goals are evident, "TO MAKE OUR INDUSTRY BETTER".

The fact of your post pointing out weaknesses is a great asset in and of it's self. You probably will bring forward an issue that will now be addressed. "HOW TO MAKE ALL SEEM AS IMPORTANT AND EQUALY RECOGNIZED"> I also believe we should have a link specifically speaking of calendar events such as meetings and such. If it exist I don't know about it. I would love to attend any function.

Well I said enough and it is meant as my point of view and not to sway anyone but just to sound my thoughts for some open conversation. (It's great we can do this....you can't do it much on other sites)

Bob

Originally Posted By: R Farruggia

http://www.homeinspectionexam.org/news_alerts.html#cutsc

Cut Score Established for New Test Blueprint

With development of the test blueprint based on EBPHI's Home Inspector Role Delineation Study January 2003, the Board of Directors has established a cut score of 62%. The National Home Inspector Examination is scale scored 200-800, with 500 as the passing point. The new forms are equated to prior forms of the test.

OK, I get it. So the NHIE says that if we get 62 out of 100 possible items correct on a home inspection we are good inspectors icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: awong

Quote:
Considerable experience, training and expertise is required for proper performance in this profession. No single source of information is sufficient to launch a competent practice in this field.

While the work looks easy for those in the construction industry, we can assure you that it is not. You will find it to be extremely demanding both physically and emotionally. As for the physical aspects, when you find yourself inspecting an attic while inhaling insulation fibers and pesticides, you will ask yourself "Why did I ever get into this job?"

As for the emotional aspects you are immersing yourself in a transaction that has extremely important financial and emotional implications for all parties involved. You may often be the bearer of bad news. You may be called a liar and accused of all forms of misdeeds. You may also find yourself laying awake in the middle of the nights worrying about being sued. Problems both real and imaginary are the nature of this job. Your inspection and report may have created these problems.

If you are trained, experienced, competent and expert, your inspection and report will help avoid some of these problems, but not all of them. You may find that your job is not always over once you deliver the report. You may receive many additional phone calls regarding your inspection and spend countless hours answering questions and explaining your findings.

The basics of getting into this profession are getting experience, education, and good communication skill to start your career.

Gentlemen, passing the examination (whether proctored or not) is only a passport for you to join the HI industry and that does not mean that you are qualified. Having completed 100 fees paid mentored inspection (completing the apprenticeship) is the beginning of your career as a HI. The road is tough, but it will bring you professional status and recognition in the industry.

In Singapore, our legislation, education system, codes, et cetera differ from yours and home inspection is a totally new services, moreover I am more than thousand miles away (about 10 hours ahead) from NACHI but that does not stop me to pursue further. I need to help myself in order to help the newbies.

Initially I thought that I will not be getting what I wanted from NACHI, but to my surprise I received 27 pages of the E&O insurance policy from Mr Peter Gudek (thanks Peter), emails from Gerry Beaumont and Joe Fersetta offering assistance and Chris Morrell has also offer to setup a website for Singapore Chapter.

Trust me, Nachi guys have practiced what they preached, save that there are some areas (state legislation) beyond their jurisdiction. There are many good NACHI guys/gals around, all you need to do is ?tell them? ![eusa_pray.gif](upload://666dNZBTjxv415U6VjmA9ZydFQN.gif) ![eusa_pray.gif](upload://666dNZBTjxv415U6VjmA9ZydFQN.gif) ![eusa_pray.gif](upload://666dNZBTjxv415U6VjmA9ZydFQN.gif) what you want and help will be offered unconditionally. You don?t get it elsewhere!!!!!!!!!

But don?t expect them to spoon feed you, you must do your part too.

Andy Wong
NACHI Singapore Chapter