Plumbing problem at home.

Thank you all. For now I’ll try the vinegar thing for a few months and see how it goes. Hopefully that’s all it will take. I may try to think of a way to turn that pipe into some sort of a basin that is larger to accept more water all at once, and then drain at its leasure if that doesn’t work. At this point in time it’s just an annoyance and a pain in the tush to deal with.
Thanks again for all the advise.

if the pipe deteriorated it would make the inside diameter larger, carla is right about height of pipe plus if it enters right at the main line your back up problem might be when someone else is using water in another part of the house at the same time the washer is spinning out. don’t wait until you snake it out to add the vinegar, go ahead and do it now before you go to bed and last but not least make sure the washer drain hose is not too tight in the drain pipe, this can cause a siphoning action and pull debris back into the p-trap. m2cw

hard to tell from picture but that sure looks like 1 1/2 inch stand pipe and if it is will probably back up from now on until its replaced with a 2 inch p trap and stand pipe.

Regards bill

:)It is 1 1/2, but the budget doesn’t allow for replacing it right now. I’m going to have to live with the vineager for now. Thank you for the advise.

Mark I would check with some of your fellow inspectors your area and see if they have a video scope. See what is down there before you make changes.

I would expect there to be a vent in the wall next to the stand pipe. I would open the wall and cut a clean out into the vent to bypass the trap and make snaking easier.

Brent