Porch Support Question. Client is asking for more information

**FUBAR AWARD**
2 Likes

IMO - That there is a big non-pro no-go. And should be written up handsomely on your report.
Ignore the thoughts of the homeowner. As my dad once told me - never let someone talk you into a jail cell, an ambulance, or a grave. And in the inspection biz - we can add never let a homeowner or an agent talk you into a lawsuit. Call it like you see it. If it’s there, it should be done properly.
Improper pier configuration. Includes: Piers installed without girders, no visible proper footings, blocks stacked on ends, cellular block positioned on their sides, stacked blocks without mortar, compressible materials used as plates and shims.
Just sayin.

IMO, those ‘piers’ were intended to be a temporary support and to be removed after the concrete cures. All that you mentioned is not relevant for temporary work.

If they would have installed the the right gauge form deck the proper way temporary shoring would not have been necessary.

2 Likes

Hey - I respect your assumption. For me - 13 years is about 12 years and 51 weeks beyond what I would consider temporary. And that would be some well preserved 13 year old wood shims, under that rusted rebar. Could it be a homeowner or handyman hack? A quick-fix by a subcontractor?
I don’t know. So I’d call it like it looks. Inform the client - and move on with my life.

Talking about ASSumptions!!

Besides…,

This was a good post. I received some good insight and it was not my inspection.

What we don’t know.
Are the piers temporary?
Are the piers load bearing today?

What we do know.
The porch appears to be performing.
The rebar is sagging.
The metal deck orientation is wrong.
The deck and rebar has some corrosion.
The piers are wrong if load bearing.
The rebar “lattice” configuration is unconventional for most of us here.

IMO, I would elevate for further evaluation. Best case scenario, the piers fall over and nothing happens. Worse case scenario, the piers are rebuilt professionally.

1 Like

“If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then 9 times out of ten it will.” – Paul Harvey

5 Likes

YES, should run perpendicular to the house. I can’t tell if this is approved decking material.