Portable generator grounding

A licensed electrician should be involved with any backup portable generator installation. There are several NEC requirements for these installations that need to be followed. Typically these are beyond the skill level of a DIY’er. Obviously an engineer shouldn’t be required if the electrician is highly qualified.

2 Likes

Given that this is really DIY and not inspection related, I’d like to point you to a video that I watched recently whilst trying to wrap my head around electrical bonding. As explained in the video description,
Disclaimer: Always consult your local licensed electrician before making any changes to your setup. This video is for entertainment purposes only.

That said, he does a great job of explaining bonding, what it is, when it should be used, and most importantly for this discussion, he goes over when a generator should or should not be grounded. Without further ado, and for your entertainment only:
Does My Generator Need a Ground Rod? Probably Not. Here’s why.

I hope that helps the OP!

2 Likes

Prone to user error.
If done correctly, I see no reason to be concerned about conductivity, it will work fine.

Some inverters/generator produce a “square wave” others a “sine wave”. Sine is the shape coming from the power company.