Ok to groung panel to gas line?

I inspected a home this morning built 1929, upgraded breaker box. The panel was grounded to the gas line just before the line left the home. Is this ok?

Absolutely not. The gas line cannot be used as the grounding-electrode. However, it should be bonded to the system (except in NY I believe).

Jeffery, correct. Steve, I suggest you buy and read “How to perform electrical inspections” by Paul Abernathy, Gerry Beaumont, and Nick Gromicko. It is on this site somewhere.

Ironically enough it was allowed in the 1965 NEC®…but not is it not allowed today. Now, be sure ( as Jeff stated )to know that it is not simply a bond trying to obtain compliance with 250.104 and not actually the Grounding Electrode Conductor to the Grounding Electrode…Their may be other Grounding Electrodes for this structure but based on what the 1965 and earlier NEC® said probably not…suggest they change it and establish a true grounding electrode system?

If there is CSST in the gas piping system then a #6 Cu bond to the gas pipe header or black pipe should be in place per manufacturer’s requirements.

Usually, the appliance that is connected to the gas system is bonded through its own electrical branch circuit. This would satisfy article 250. There are those that believe that the “circuit/conductor likely to be energized” would be the whole service. I do not agree with this.

Who are those that believe that Jeff…it clearly says only those circuits that are likely be energized…why would someone think this applies to the entire service?

Electrical system should have a ground rod with attached ground (with size to be determined by the size of the service} wire from the panel. Also, ground wire from panel to cold water line entering the house attached befor and after the water meter. Gas line should be bonded to the electrical system.

Ok…not all systems will have a “ground rod” and the size is based on the service conductors, not the service itself. The conductor that is used to jump around the water meter you mentioned is called a Bonding Jumper and the gas lines in the house only get bonded to the electrical system if they are likely to become energized and is usually taken care of in the allowances of 250.104. ( except for CSST tubing issues )

Just wanted to make sure everyone was clear on that…:wink: