Possible Reasons for High Electric Bills

Thanks to those who are able to stay on topic.

If there was power being lost to ground and that was corrected, I would think that would effect the bills in a positive way.

I haven’t seen much discussion (any?) about the water heater, which year-around is one of the largest energy consumers in any home. A poorly insulated water heater in an exterior or unheated space in the home can consume a lot of kwhs, especially if the temperature setting is too high. I often see heaters that are really too small for the home (40 gallons or less) that are set to deliver water at 130-140+. All that said, the main culprit in the winter is likely to be the electric heat strips. With respect to that unit, I would have a qualified HVAC technician check for proper operation, including significant ductwork leaks. As a homeowner you can also do some consumption chcks yourself by turning everything else off in the house then reading the electic meter before and after running the HVAC and water heater individually for exactly an hour.

How would power be “lost” to ground?

Please define a “poorly insulated” water heater.

Well, that description is probably not too definitive, but it could be an older heater still in service or one without exterior installation if located in an unheated area (attice, crawlspace, etc.).

If you are referring to an insulation blanket, that will often allow the manufacturer to void any warranty on a water heater and is not really necessary. Water heaters typically already have an insulation layer between the tank and the outer skin or casing. A more effective way to save money on water heater waste is to install a timer device so it is not sitting there keeping water hot 24/7 but fires up and heats only at peak use times. That or switch to gas.

This cut my electric bills in half.

woodboiler 001.JPG

woodboiler 001.JPG

woodboiler 001.JPG

They’re really neat, but my guess is that generating enough BTUs to heat his manufactured home is not his primary energy consumption in the sub-tropical climate of Montgomery TX. Could be experiencing duct leakage, insulation issues, etc. though.

Mr. Evers: Do you know what your monthly kWh consumption is? Do you know what rate you are paying (rates have varied wildly in the last year)? Does your consumption drop significantly during milder months in fall and spring?

Again, If you call me I will assist you.

That is correct for newer heaters, but older ones had much less insulation. The difference can be minimal in your area or even mine most of the year, but when the temp drops to 18-20 like is has recently there can be a lot of heat loss if the heater is not located in a heated area of the home. I agree that timers can help some, but the best solution is gas.

I go in very few crawl spaces that are cold. There’s usually a furnace there that provides some warmth as a byproduct of its operation. Even without that, the heat from the earth keeps the temp. in most crawl spaces relatively balmy in my part of the country if the vents are closed. I usually exit my crawl space inspection phase nearly sweating in the winter.

Remember we are talking about the Houston, TX area here. Anything close to freezing is an event. Most water heaters that I have seen in manufactured homes are inside the unit (I guess they don’t travel well underneath). I have yet to see a water heater in a crawlspace in TX.

I’m not suggesting that insulation or location issues are totally responsible for high power bills. All those comments may be true for homes in the south, but water heaters are still one of the largest energy consumers. I am in the ‘deep south’ as well, but regularly see heaters in the attics and crawl spaces here and it was about 18 here this morning.