QUESTIONS OF THE WEEK January 11 ~ WIN STUFF, IT'S EASY!

You may now choose from the following list:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet
** Case of books "Now That You’ve had A Home Inspection"
** Seventeen Custom Branded Videos value $50.00 ~ your choice!
https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/video-contest

**** Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!

Please read the Introduction and requirements, changes may have been made.

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Eligible members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the eligible member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
The WINNER can now choose from any of the prizes listed above!
Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping.

NOTE - These are easy so don’t read into them. Also all images are high resolution if you wish to expand them. Good luck!! :crazy_face:

Question 1 – This is a multi-part question. New home final inspection with the
following conditions.

Square footage of the home is 4200 Sq. Ft.
Front of home faces West
Weather at the time of inspection was overcast turning sunny with a high of 40
Degrees Fahrenheit and winds at a constant 15 MPH.
House is equipped with gas water heaters and gas heaters.
Four bedrooms, four full baths and two half baths.

Q1 – What are we actually looking at in these pictures?
Q2 – What am I doing in these pictures?
Q3 – Why did I do this?
Q4 – What narrative would you use in your report regarding this action.

Question 2 – What is wrong in these pictures? The following information is to be used for this question.
Siding and trim is LP SmartSide siding and trim.
Shingle manufacturer is not identified.
Gutters are on site fabricated.

Question 3 – What is wrong on this new construction installation of a Rinnai V75iN tankless water heater.

Question 4 – This is a new home final inspection. What is wrong with this tankless water heater? This is a Rinnai whose specific model number is not known but not needed for these deficiencies.

Question 5 – This is a “Gimme” question that everyone is most likely going to get it right. It is intended to help not only the new Inspectors but the rest of us that might become complacent after performing many inspections. There is no real wrong answer and any answer can help. So why is it that at every inspection, before I even go into the home I perform a walk around of the house itself? What value does this have and what can be found that can dramatically alter your whole inspection? Please provide specific examples.

2 Likes

Wow, Manny!

You did some amazing work to put together these quality questions for our members to work at answering.

It takes time and dedication to do this.

Thank you! :smiley:

THANK YOU Manny ~ great questions!

Very nice Manny, many people will learn from what you did.
Thank you for the time you spent to put that together.

1. Two electrical disconnects located on the exterior of the home.

Checking to see if there is electricity to the line side of the disconnects.

There is likely a system in the home not receiving power and you are checking if the remote disconnect is powered.

Depends on what is found. If there is electricity to and from the remote disconnect, then the issue is between the disconnect and the equipment. Otherwise, the disconnect may be the issue, or an issue upstream of the disconnect.

1. The shingles at the base of the valleys don’t appear to be properly secured and are askew. Additionally, the LP material is in contact with the roof in multiple locations and it doesn’t appear to have the appropriate WRB or flashing installed per the mfg instructions. The flashing at the base of the dormer compromises the trim and again is improperly installed. Gutters without downspouts just make nice jets to damage your roofing materials, but it is just about the look, right?

1. The drain pan under the unit doesn’t appear to be connected to anything and if the open pipe visible below the pan is the TPR run that goes toward the back of the unit, then it isn’t routed correctly. There is no condensate line with a 3” loop installed on the nipple at the exhaust stack for vertical vent installations. Similar to this:

1. I can’t tell (even zoomed in) if the weather resistant cover below the unit is a cut off switch - if not, add it to the list. The outlet in the cabinet is not secured, and I don’t see how the unit is powered for ignition with nothing plugged into either outlet. The TPR line may be ABS on the exterior of the home (unless it is painted black)

2. I walk the exterior once in each direction to get a feel for the home. What equipment is installed, what do I hear running or not running that I would expect (equipment, water, fans, etc) Do I smell anything, such as gas, sewer, chemicals, combustion, etc.) What do the roof penetrations tell me about what equipment I should expect to see inside and where.

1 Like

1.1) Disconnects for HVAC condensers
1.2) Testing for energized conductors
1.3) To determine that the line side is connected to the correct terminals & not bypassing.
1.4) The disconnects for the HVAC condensers were were tested & confirmed for proper (or improper) installation. This is to ensure that when utilizing the disconnect that electricity is properly cutoff for servicing the condenser. If installed incorrectly, power may continue to flow to the condenser even if the disconnect is removed, thus creating a false sense of security & leaving the person servicing the condenser vulnerable to injury, electrocution or even death.

1. Siding & trim are installed too close to roof materials. Water running down the shingles is likely to be wicked up from the ends of the siding & trim. (capillary action) This will cause moisture damage, premature wear & deterioration of the trim & siding.
    The manufacturer’s installation instructions require:
    -That flashing extend up at least 4 inches behind the siding/trim.
    -A 1 inch gap between the ends of the siding/ trim & the roofing material as well as maintaining room between the end of the gutter & roof or walls for maintenance of siding/trim.

2. No condensate drainline & safety pan drainline not connected.

3. No thermostat installed, electric power source not connected, cable not secured, cable not rated for damp location (exposed yellow sheathing portion but will likely be resolved when appliance is properly wired))

4. Announce your presence
    Look for occupants
    Check for unsafe conditions
    Check that utilities are on
    Check for problems, vandalism, etc. before you start to document & avoid liability, (think leaking toilet supply line that you might catch blame for otherwise)
    Understand where rooms & components are located to associate items during other portions of the inspection
    Turn on vents, fans, hvac, lights, unlock other doors, etc. depending upon your inspection process

1 Like

Thank you for the questions, Manny!
I started to answer hours ago but my two girls (3yr & 8mo) woke up from their naps. Those turkeys don’t give me enough of a break to use the bathroom, let alone read the forum.
Saturdays are exhausting, but I love 'em!

Nathan, nice illustration of loop in condensate line…mind if I copy it?

Help yourself!

Good questions Manny! Thanks for your time!