Just inspected a home built in 2021, has heat pump system with air handler installed inside. The electric panel is not within reach or sight and no disconnect at the unit. I called it out as a defect - NOT citing code, but referencing the need to be able to safely cut power at the unit for maintenance or an emergency. Buyer took it and is demanding seller install a new unit, but builder says “This is how we do all our homes.” Claims only disconnect needed is outside at the condensing unit….Of course, realtors are blowing up my phone, asking for a reference…
You could take a look at NEC 440.14
Could you please copy and paste your narrative?
Brian, I saw that in the NEC- the realtor somehow interprets that as meaning only the unit outside… not sure why. I told the buyer it wasn’t a critical issue, and I didn’t tell HIM it was against any code - I recommended that when the HVAC system needs replacement, make sure the disconnect is put it. Here’s my narrative… “The air handler unit should have a power disconnect within a reasonable distance and in line of sight of the unit. This is for safety of anyone who would need to service the unit. This unit does not have a disconnect installed.
I recommend a power disconnect be installed in line nearby by a licensed HVAC or electrical contractor.” I thought it was pretty low-key, but …
The there is this:
NEC 422.31(C)
But I agree with your narrative.
@rmeier2 is certainly more qualified than I. Thanks for the post.
Also, did the circuit breaker in the panel have a lock-out mechanism?
No. But I just got a call back from the realtor… after calling around to various HVAC companies, “Hey, you were right. We’re going to ask the seller to pay or it.”