Interior HVAC Electrical question

I have a buyer’s agent who is demanding an A/C disconnect be installed next to an air handler that has a 60 amp breaker type disconnect on the air handler. as well as a 50 amp breaker in the main panel.

From what I’ve understood and have flagged on my reports in the past. The exterior (condenser) should have a service disconnect within site that can be toggled by hand or with the use of a key.

and if the interior evaporator air handler has a breaker on it, that technically complies with NEC 440.14 and is fine. How do I explain to this realtor that the A/C is correct?

What’s the rest of the story?

3 Likes

The rest of the story is;
I’m selling my condo in FL

Buyer’s agent hired an inspector that called out the water heater and the A/C electrical. She’s stating that there needs to be a disconnect installed on the interior air handler is requesting $4k credit.

I can’t see how her inspector is correct in citing the A/C is improperly wired and needs to have a disconnect installed, when it clearly has one according to NEC 440.14

4K for a cut off switch??? electricians must be well paid there You could buy the air handler for that here…there must still be more to this story…

5 Likes

$4k for water heater and A/C wiring.

Professional company wanted $3,500 for water heater.
$450 for permits
$700 for taco switch valve,
$1,200 for 30 Gallon rheem lowboy
$250 for the pan.
and ~$750k for install…
I guess another grand for electrical, since the old unit had a plug
and disposal.

$500 for remove improper A/C wiring and install A/C disconnect.

$4k was outlandish to me… but the water heater was old and needed to get replaced.

Still, from what I gather, the A/C is not improperly wired. However, I could be wrong. I’m just seeking confirmation that the disconnect on a Air Handler does not meet the code?

Tell the buyer’s agent for her inspector to site code for a disconnect at the air handler. And I’m pretty confident he will not be able to. The circuit breaker qualifies for the disconnect.

4 Likes

On a side note, You want to sell? Is $4k worth sealing the deal?

Does the air handler manufacturer recommend a disconnect in the install manual?

1 Like

A separate disconnecting means is not required by the NEC so that point is moot unless they’re citing a local electrical code amendment.

6 Likes

It’s your condo, you should be able to fix these things yourself for a much lower cost? That is if they do indeed need replaced or correction?

It should be at least an option.

1 Like

Make them happy even though it is not required and install a lockout bar on the OCPD in the panel. All of $20.00 and the problem is solved!

2 Likes

I’d tell them to pack sand. The agent is in no position to DEMAND anything. People who trouble me with their crappy attitude can tell it walkin’. There are more buyers out there.

5 Likes

There’s your problem solved.
Tell’ em to take a $1000 credit or GET LOST

6 Likes

Ridiculous pricing…

5 Likes

Not uncommon for agents to ask for more than they expect to get. But know your market. If you were lucky to get the contract, offer to fix things or agree to the concession. If you had multiple offers or got the contract after hours on the market, be tougher.

Actually the breakers on the Furnace are not actually a disconnect. It cuts the power to the unit, but not in a way a true external disconnect would. If you cut the breaker on the unit there is still live wires in the unit, Making it a hazard to service.
Refuse the 4K credit from the buyer and hire an electrician and have them install a disconnect for around $500.00.
even a electric furnace needs an external Disconnect, for service, replacement etc.

I don’t buy that. Many furnace disconnects are simply switches that disrupt the ungrounded conductor only - just like the breaker.

A better solution than a “disconnect” is simply a plug and outlet. If the power goes out in the winter a 2000 watt inverter running off a battery or your car can be easily plugged into and will run your furnace.

First of all, what kind of HVAC system is it?

She’s stating that there needs to be a disconnect installed on the interior air handler is requesting $4k credit.

First of all that disconnect can be as insignificant as a light switch, depending on the type of unit it is. It could be a plug in the wall that the air handler plugs into, commonly found in condominiums and apartments.

I have a buyer’s agent who is demanding an A/C disconnect be installed next to an air handler that has a 60 amp breaker type disconnect on the air handler. as well as a 50 amp breaker in the main panel.

They can’t demand crap!

The “disconnect” being discussed is something that belongs on the outside of the house with the condensing unit.

How do I explain to this realtor that the A/C is correct?

I don’t see any reason for explanation, they can ask for whatever they want, it’s up to you to accept it or not.

She’s stating that there needs to be a disconnect installed on the interior air handler is requesting $4k credit.

That is pretty easy, don’t sell the damn house to them. You should know as an inspector that you cannot demand repairs.

I’m just seeking confirmation that the disconnect on a Air Handler does not meet the code?

Call the building code department. They are the only ones that can answer your question.

So you’re saying the home inspector is citing code violations? They don’t have the authority.

1 Like

You know typically we are not usually in the negation seat. So this is a different position. Your not talking about an inspection at this point. A buyer can demand whatever they want. The inspector doesn’t demand anything. It’s just negotiation at this point. You can also tell them no and settle somewhere in between.

As for the disconnect. They are like $20 just put one on there.

As for the water heater quote. Get another quote! Or will they let you install it yourself? Or tell them you’ll provide the water heater but at that price they can pay the install.