Proposed Universal 4-Point Insurance Inpection form.

It looks like the inspection report of some of my “realtor friendly” competitors!

I have also been doing them for 150.00 but recently have been doing less and less. I’ve gone to some offices and there is companies advertising 75.00 for them. Its hard to compete when your twice as much and the insurance companies don’t care as long as they get done.

Scott. I’ve begun to run into this same senario more and more. And I have come down just a bit from where I was awhile back. But, I will say this. I cannot and refuse to do these inspections for the prices some of these guys are charging. I mean…$75.00? I think in the long run they are hurting themselves. One day it’ll come back to haunt them.
I firmly believe, professional respect goes hand in hand with ones fees. Nothing wrong with good competition and adjusting ones prices. At times it may be necessary. But, thats a far cry from giving away ones hard work. But, when ones prices are that low, I believe one loses a certain amount of legitimacy and professional respect in the eyes of the insurance and realestate agents. Just my honest opinion on the price issue.

Regards,

I’ve attached the form that Citizens (and their predecessors) have accepted from us since 1998.

The Sample you have has way too much un-necessary information on it.
It HAS to stay simple and to the point.
Condition of the roof and HVAC is also missing. Noone cares where the fuel tank is - but you DO have to identify what fuel is used for the Heat.

Citizens does not care if a home has AC or not. But they DO require that the heat be thermostattically controlled.

The ASHI form, though 6 pages instead of 3 is not preferred by the insurance industry. This sample form seems to be following that same suite.

The only information NOT shown on my form is:
The number of main disconnect breakers and the number of branch circuit breakers are sometimes required by State Farm. And the new company, Home Wise wants to know the size and date of the water heater.

There are too many items that should be removed from the Sample to list in this post.
Nick I’ll make notes on the sample and e-mail to you.

Also - FYI: Citizens now requires a photo of out buildings in addition to the front and back angle shots.

You have to keep your pricing in line with your area. In the Tampa area there is a company - and they are NACHI members - doing these for $85.00. They have a Journeyman electrician who does the intire inspection.

Bottom line - if you spend more than 45 mins to 1 hour on this inspection - your doing, reporting and looking at too much.

The Tampa market will not support $200.00 per hour fee.

Who do you use for the electrical signature? Do you pay for it or are you ICC or ASHI?

If you’ve been doing these for six years you should also be aware that there is a HUGH difference in a standard Four Point and the one that Citizens requires. A basic Four Point for homes 1977 to 1957 should only take you 20 minutes to perform.

Nick - I’m VERY sorry - but this is not correct.
Florida Select, Home Wise, Citizens for Mobile HOmes over 30 years old, and others DO NOT REQUIRE a contractor.

You need to check your sources.

Correct, they do not require a contractor if you use this form: www.nachi.org/4point.htm

No I haven’t had to pay anyone for this. I’m a licensed electrician.
Regards,

Nick, this form is now being accepted by just Citizens or all insurance companies in Florida?

Humberto,

That form is not currently being accepted by Citizens. You must either be a licensed electrician (and I believe they now want a licensed roofer), a member of FABI or ASHI and use the ASHI survery form, or according to Greg Bell, hold the proper ICC certification. If you do not comply, they have been kicking some of them back, and that only hurts the client.

And I have not had one kicked back yet from citizens

I have always ask my client and their agent to check with citizens first

In short too many phone calls and a pain in the butt

rlb

I see William. So this is a contradiction to what has been said about this form. What I have been reading all along following this thread (or at least what I understood) has been that this form was now accepted.

I haven’t had one kicked back either Richard. And, sure hope not to. That would definately be troublesome for the client as William mentions.

Has anyone been rejected???

rlb

Hi Richard, yes I know of many that have ben kicked back, and for many reasons including non-electrical licensed inspectors and those providing too much information (for example the much vaunted ASHI form will be kicked back in many cases)

Regards

Gerry

I had an agent that refused to send in the report because it didn’t have an electrician. I contacted the director of underwriting at Citizens. The problem was solved once he contacted the agent.

There is a well known multi-inspector firm in Tampa that gets rejected continually by Citizens, how do I know… I do the re-inspections.

It sort of looks like the luck of the draw

rlb