pvc pipe

Originally Posted By: mike garcia
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This furnace is in the attic , I believe the wht pipe is the vent . This is

pvc pipe . Is this allow I have always thought it was galv metal .

This is the vent ing pipe is it not because no other vents went to the roof like this one. I need a inspectors opinion on this .

Mike

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/furnace%20vent.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: kluce

PVC pipe is a vent from the 90 plus furnace. 80 plus furnaces use galvanized pipe due to the temperatures it puts out.

It looks like the furnace is using the air from the attic since I can only see one pipe in the picture.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Did the furnace have an induced draft motor?

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Mike -

It looks like a 90% efficient furnace from your limited photo. If so PVC is the commonly used vent pipe. If in doubt call a HVAC contractor - get the unit serviced and ask him what you've got.

Originally Posted By: mike garcia

There is no induced draft motor?. The house is 3yrs old

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Mike did you open the unit to see if it had a inducer motor? If the house is only 3 years old I bet it does. That yellow sticker on top of the unit would tell you the efficiency. They would not be able to attach the flue to the outlet if it wasn’t 90%. I think that you should call a pro to check this out seeing how you don’t have enough information on the unit are you a inspector?

Originally Posted By: psabados

Mike, can you provide the make and model number of unit? That would help. Your picture and description is not enough

Paul

Originally Posted By: kluce

This furnace has to have a inducer motor. This furnace can also be installed upright. The gas would be at the top, the exhaust is being sucked down the heat exchanger to the inducer and out the pvc pipe. The blower is at the bottom with a single return flex connected to it. Of course, this furnace is on it’s side but that’s how a lot of furnaces are designed now a days. You can install it upright or on its side.

This furnace could not work without an inducer motor.