QOD for 02/29/04

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi To all,

As Dave is off on Sundays here is my QOD, I thought as we are going from structatures to roofs next week I would post a "linking" question.

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Hi to all,

Man 50 views, and only 10 answers !!!

time to break out the code checks ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: staylor

Additional information would be required before being able to accurately answer the QOD concerning rafter spans. You would need to know the type and grade of lumber being used, type of roof coverings to be able to determine the live load, whether or not the rafters will be supporting a ceiling covering on the underside of the rafters, and whether it would be used in a low slope or high slope application. Each of the factors can greatly affect the span of rafters. Answers will also vary from code book to code book.

Steve Taylor

Originally Posted By: tallen

or you could just look at code check icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Todd,

That's the problem. There is not a single correct answer absent of more information. I would suggest looking in architectural graphic standards for the variables, before looking for a single "standard" answer. This is why architects and PEs go ape s#!t over some of our inspections.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: tallen

I was assuming he was looking for a standard answer by the way the question was worded icon_smile.gif

Hi to all,

This question could have been a little better thought out (or a lot better) however knowing that, I said where the answer I was looking for could be found.

Rightly or wrongly I use the standard "Code Check" series on a daily basis when evaluating systems, and we base many of the QOD's on it. This in my mind is the minimum reference work that all inspectors should have, and yes it does not have all the information that the full IRC codes have (which generaly I concider to a level of knowledge beyond most home inspectors)

Any way the answer that I was expecting that we would get was 18'2" based on the table of rafter spans on page7 of codecheck.

The full reference can be found on Table R802.5.1(2)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

Questions like this one give us something to talk about, keep up the good work Gerry, you are doing great! Both you and Dave icon_biggrin.gif