QOD for 03/13/04

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi to all,

As Dave is at the Mokan Education conference this weekend you get the pleasure of my company both today and tomorrow.

I thought that as he's away I'd play with another photo question while he's not looking, I hope it has enough visual clues

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Brad Myers

Ship lap

Originally Posted By: Brad Myers

I’m very sorry, I didn’t mean to post my answer. This is one of my first times at this message board, I thought I was casting my vote.icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Not asking style, but material,

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

But as a majority of people who responded to this quiz got beyond sarong here is the explanation as to why Masonite is the correct answer, the best way of understanding this is to look at the reasons why the other alliances cannot be correct.

Vinyl siding: the picture cannot be of vinyl siding for the following two main reasons, firstly you can clearly see in the photograph of the boards are butted together rather than overlapped, the second reason is the obvious swelling around inappropriate face nailing of the product.

T1-11: the picture clearly shows that the product has staggered joints which is not a feature of T1 11 siding, which comes typically in 8 ft by 4 ft sheets, so that the verticals seams are continuous.

Shiplap: as Joe F. pointed out shiplap is a style of or design, rather than a material, but also traditional shiplap would have the joints in each row staggered rather than as can be seen in the photograph, three rows having continuous vertical joints.

In fairness to all I wrote this question to deliberately throw everybody off the scent, and this question is very typical of questions that our members will see in licensing exams, first of all of you really have to pay attention to call the question is actually asking, and then be able to analyze the available answers in relation to the question, rather than just checking off the first available somewhat sensible answer.

Like I said, I can get somewhat sneaky ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: Lew Lewis

Gerry,

I thougth Masonite is a brand name? I would describe it as a composition material and not try to determine who manufactured it.

Neal

Hi Lew er Neal icon_question.gif

Yes I agree with you, masonite is only a brand name for a specific manufacturers product, however it has become somewhat a "generic" term for this type of siding.

I nearly did reword it after I had posted it but decided against it.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Everyone I know calls it Masonite, or that sh!tty siding. icon_rolleyes.gif

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: smcintire

You can tell that it is LP by the random knot patterns that they stamp on the product. For example center right hand section of picture you can just make this out. I am sure most know this, just thought I would add this comment.