QOD for 04/17/04(HVAC) Picture Competition !!

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi to all,

Sorry for this mornings delay, I had to work for a living (that just has to stop)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

guide so come on lets hear some realy good explainations and reporting

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: psabados

Well Gerry, you basically answered your first question. It is a furnace.

Hopefully the person that inspected it got a little closer than what this photo depicts. Looking at a 5 x 3 1/2 photo of a furnace shot approximately 12 feet away leaves a little more to be desired.

From what I can make out, it looks like single wall exhaust flue. Which makes me wonder about the roof jack and boot. Just above the unit and to the right of the flue, appears to be a wall switch. Assuming that, most likely, it is the service disconnect switch. Which is to close to the flue.

Next, gas line laying on attic floor along with steel flex connector. Can not make out the wire on the plywood. Hopefully there is not central air installed on this unit, no containment and secondary drain line. Have no idea where the make up air for this unit is coming from. And finally how about three feet of clearance space around the unit. Nice fire hazard.

So you have several safety/fire hazards present and the system operation is unknown at this time. Call for further evaluation by a qualified heating and cooling contractor.

Paul

Counting the days down to Orlando 2005

Originally Posted By: jsavino

Gas heating furnace is lying on plywood decking with no fire protection.

Furnace should be lifted off plywood deck and reinstalled by means of threaded rod and angle iron and suspended from roof rafters. Fire proofing should be installed on rafters above and below furnace. Flex-pipe should be removed and hard pipe be installed to gas valve. All wiring should be secured. This should be done by a qualified HVAC contractor.

Note to client, Do not store any items within five feet of heating system.

John Savino

HomeWorks Inspection Services, LLC

St. James, NY

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Furnace installation appears to be an improper installation with amateur workmansihp. Recommend a thorough evaluation of the installation and any corrections necessary be made by a qualified licensed HVAC contractor who is not a walking amateur cluster f#&k.

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh

The horizontal gas fired induced draft furnace is apparently installed improperly. There is no insulating material immediately under the furnace creating a possible fire hazard; additionally the electrical disconnect is above the furnace in the air space where a possible fire would make it difficult to electrically isolate the unit. This system should be thoroughly evaluated by a licensed mechanical contractor and repaired or re-arranged as necessary to meet proper installation standards.

Alan Fernbaugh

Five Star Inspection Services

Baton Rouge, La.

For those who are trying to report this problem I am a little surprised not to have yet seen any statements about known issues with some makes of horizontal furnaces, so now I will tell you tha this appliance was manufactured by Consolidated Industries Inc. but badged as an Armana.

Happy editing ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Regards

Gerry[/b]

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh

Gerry,

I can only report what I can see. If your picture represented my only view I would end my statement with : "the furnace was inaccessible to the inspector because of terrible photography and is excluded from this report.

Alan Fernbaugh

Five Star Inspection Services

Baton Rouge, La.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Gerry … where is the “correct” answer?

The answers do not say "each" or "per vent" (for the "two opening method" of combustion air supply), so it must be the "One Opening Method" for combustion air supply, which would require 1 sq. inch of free area per 3,000 btu/hour according to IRC G2407.11.2 for gas fired heat plants ... ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong