QOD for 05/03/04 (structural)

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi to all,

Sorry got bogged down this morning and could not post earlier.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

IRC 404.1.6 UBC 1806.1 as in a lot of things your milage may vary by location, but were you to be answering this as part of a National licensing exam that would be the correct answer.

2003 IRC wrote:
404.1.6 Height above finished grade.
Concrete and masonry foundation walls shall extend above the finished grade adjacent to the foundation at all points a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) where masonry veneer is used and a minimum of 6 inches (152 mm) elsewhere.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Correct me if I’m wrong. Brick faced homes do not have a standard.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Gerry … the question is a little sticky.

IRC R323.1 would require 8" clear to untreated wood sills (sills are usually not treated) in many areas subject to decay. That includes coastal regions on the west coast, and almost the entire eastern half of the US except for areas in the northeast very close to the Canadian border.

IRC R404.1.6 would apply for wood sills in areas not subject to decay, or where treated sills are used. That is also often quoted as the minimum amount of foundation "exposure" required, or clearance to the siding (6" clear to the siding is also recommended by many siding manufacturers). So both the sills and siding would need 6" clear in that case.

That may be why you have heard both 6" and 8" quoted as the required clearance to the sills (but not for siding that I am aware of ... that is usually 6" recommended).

Just my 2-nickles

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong