QOD for 3/23/04

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Still Misc

And you notice there is no option for "what's a crawl space"

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

On top of that, I got a really big kick out of the DOE statement where they recommend the insulation be installed. I think that was a few issues ago in smart home owner magazine. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rpasquier

3 houses that I have inspected in the last month have had the Vapor barrier on the insulation pointing toward the ground, away from the living space.

Makes me laugh, because the insulation itself says, this side toward living space..... ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: jpope

Quote:
the insulation itself says, this side toward living space.....

Well there's your problem ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif) it's supposed to say -

"If you can read this, I'm in upside down"

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

If the vapor barrier on the insulation would have stated that, the DOE would be revising their standards for insulating a crawl space right about now! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rstephens

I see the insulation upside down all the time. It makes you wonder where they learned to read. People laugh when I tell them the insulation was not installed correctly especially when I tell them it plainly says it on the vapor barrier.

Originally Posted By: Larry L Leesch

While I will be the first to tell you to install any material per manufacturers recommendations, the thinking on the moisture barrier is going to be changing. I know I haven’t introduced myself here but I work for a home builder in Texas and I am the QAP and proceedures guy.We are building fairly high tech homes- far and above the average home. For you folks up north you would want the moisture barrier to the living area to keep moisture in and to keep ice crystals out of the wall cavity. Down south, retained moisture in a home equals mold. Up north the use of plastic film as a moisture barrier is sometimes used. Down south that same install will kill a house. Correct install would be with the moisture barrier to the outside.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Why are we discussine insulation. I saw nothing in the question referencing insulation. I saw MOISTURE BARRIER.

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Good catch Joe, the question was for a MOISTURE barrier, which should be installed on the earthen floor.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Clarification:

Moisture barrier
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Moisturebarrier.JPG

Vapor barrier (even upside down)
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Insulationinstalledwrong.JPG

Courtesy of this morning's inspection

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: rwills

Where the hell is the Question of the Day? I’m Jonesin’. icon_lol.gif Remember that phrase?

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Joe F.

Sorry, that was me that took this off topic. It reminded me of an article in smart homeowner magazine which has the insulation stapled to the top of the floor, running down the crawl space wall and lapping onto the floor over the moisture barrier.

Probably be the last method that I would use to hang insulation in a crawl space. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Of course I could not tell the whole story, or I would have given away the answer to the QOD!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rpasquier

jmyers wrote:
Joe F.

Sorry, that was me that took this off topic. It reminded me of an article in smart homeowner magazine which has the insulation stapled to the top of the floor, running down the crawl space wall and lapping onto the floor over the moisture barrier.

Probably be the last method that I would use to hang insulation in a crawl space. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Of course I could not tell the whole story, or I would have given away the answer to the QOD!

Joe Myers

I for one thought it was a fun little detour, it reminded me of my little story, which reminded him, which went on. I thought it was great fun...