QOD for 5/26/06 plumbing

Hi to all,

Here’s todays question

Regards

Gerry

Shall we ALSO go into the working space requirements as well…:slight_smile:

Since you have a hot water tank in the attic, what else MUST be installed in the attic?

lol…I ain’t saying if YOU aint sayin…:slight_smile:

Paul I thought this would be a good place for inspectors to learn a few of the rules on what is required.

Excellent…I agree…I was just teasing ya…theheh

Since it was the QOD like 2 days ago…we can safely say it is 20’ for the answer…Sorry Gerry…:slight_smile:

Yes Mike…lets go…I will start…

Water Heater in the attic…MUST have a LIGHT at the unit, switched at the point of enterance…
Water Heater in the attic…MUST have a proper walkway and platform for service ( solid platform 24" wide to the WH)
Water Heater in the attic…MUST have a pan under it…Watertight of corrosion resistant material…minimum 3/4 drain to an approved location.( Note: I was informed it should be 1"…not 3/4" minimum…dang ITA referesher course…:slight_smile: )
Water Heater in the attic…Must have a scuttle 30x30…but in no case smaller than the WH itself.

Water Heater in the attic…Since it would TECHNICALLY be impossible in MY opinion to get the TPR valve pipes to within 6-24" of the floor ( since i do not consider the attic floor a REAL floor…) it would need to be directed outside…OK this one is MY opinion…lol…some may consider the floor of the attic a REAL floor…but since it is more than likely NOT a finished floor and only a platform…I dont feel it is a FLOOR…:slight_smile:

NOTE- If your attic is NOT readily accessible…YOU can’t have a Water Heater their…but trust me that does not STOP some builders …:slight_smile:

Great Idea Mike…At the end of every QOD should be this type of thing

Hi to all,

Paul, you missed one:

24 inch minimum solid floor platform all around the water heater

Regards

Gerry

lol…not sure i missed it or just did not elaborate on it…lol…are their MORE…Please…Please…post them…I may have missed more…:slight_smile:

Oh I did…Minimum 30" workspace in FRONT of the WH as well…:slight_smile:

Paul, this is great information and it would be a very good idea to follow up each QOD with more information like this. Thanks.

In Ohio there must also be receptacle outlet, OBC M1305.1.3.3 Electrical Requirements.

Yeppers Mike…the IRC 2003 has that requirement also…really for all attic appliances so to speak…IRC M1305.1.3.1

Excellent…:slight_smile: