QOD for 6/29/05 (roofing)

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi to all,

here's todays question, from a commercial job of mine this week.

This picture was taken at the rear of a roof parapet wall used for signage.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Are not lack of scuppers and improper design one of the same?, If it was properly designed it would of had enough scuppers? nachi_sarcasm.gif

Originally Posted By: cradan

I’m guessing that only the “Shadow” knows the true answer to this QOD.

Chris

http://www.inspect4me.com

Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: dnewby

What is a scuppers?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Donna, a scupper is a water run off point built though a wall, typical on flat roofs with papapet walls, like :

![](upload://9YUhs0RqewxlDMDS6mUGVRTT5Ug.jpeg)

I hope this helps

and yes this was not a well thought out question ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

Scuppers are holes made through the wall to allow for drainage.

The lack of scuppers is not necessarily an indication of improper design.

The design may call for some slope or may have included scuppers (how would we know?) but the dummies doing the actual work, well........ ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: mcyr

Not enough of the big picture to draw a conclusion.

Since the responses are talking about scuppers, I have to assume that is the problem area. icon_smile.gif

One thing on scuppers, for anyone's information. Some may think that it may be a design requirement, and some may think that they are not required due to roof drains that are incorporated into the design.

About 10-15 years ago I built a Saturn Garage Dealership in Brunswick, Maine and in the course of the winter months of Construction, heavy snow and rain persisted with cold weather during the January and February months, and one morning I noticed will on the roof to inspect something that there was approximately two and one half feet of snow on the roof and water was entering my boots.

At that moment I realize something was wrong with this picture.

I went down inside the building and tapped on the six inch roof drain and heard a real heavy sound and water was dripping through the dandy clean out of the riser. This illuminated another picture and proceeded to the outfall of this roof leader which was in the parking lot catch basin. It was frozen solid. I went back to the building, called the site Contractor, and drilled a 3/8" hole in the cover of the clean out.

Water shot out at about 35 feet away and lasted for two hours until we had the condition under control.

None should underestimated the importance of scuppers. Their value is priceless. Wether it is in California, Florida, or Maine or Canada, I am a strong believer in scuppers after this near roof collapse, due to design.

Thank you and have a good weekend.

Marcel