QOD- Give this one a TRY...

Hey Guys,

Nice QOD for this area…enjoy !

Q # 1 = What of the following is NOT a or part of the requirement for the door between garages and houses?

A) 1 3/8 In. Thick
B) Solid Wood
C) 1- HR Rating
D.) Self Closing

Notice - Based on the 2003 IRC & 1997 UBC( to keep the answers uniformed ) I am fully clear different areas may have different thoughts…lets stick to the 2003 IRC and 1997 UBC right now.

One is obvious…do YOU know which it is…Feel free to POST !

Ok…Heck I might get it wrong myself…someone answer the freakin thing…lol

Ok…no replies…

1997 UBC -
A self-closing, tight fitting solid-wood door 1 3/8" thick or a self-closing, tight-fitting door having a fire-protection rating of not less than 20 minutes, will be permitted in lieu of a one-hour fire door assemble. Doors shall be provided with gasket so installed as toprovide a seal where the door meets the stop on both sides and across the top.Fire dampers are not required in air ducts provided ducts within garage are

2003 IRC -
Opening Protection. Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openins between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid doors not les than 1 3/8" inches in thickness, solid or honey comb steel doors not les than 1 3/8" inches tich, or 20- minute fire rated doors.

Ok…confession…that is why I posted both references…so in the question…NOW which one would apply as the obvious one that is a bit OFF if you combined the BOTH references.

1 hour fire rated door

Yep. That’s the one. . .

The 1 hr. fire rated was off, 20 minute min. on both, no self closing required in IRC 309.1

Did any think of the fact that a 1 hour rated door needs a frame that is rated for 45 minutes and I doubt that a wood frame would meet that. So I guess we are back to a 20 minute rating at best. As far as I know, there is no rating on wood frames. Correct me if I am wrong.!

Marcel:) :slight_smile:

Check here, Marcel:

http://www.maiman.com/Products/Jambs.asp

it is in the UBC…the question gives a few from BOTH references…to show only (1) is obvious

1997 UBC -

A self-closing, tight fitting solid-wood door 1
3/8" thick or a self-closing, tight-fitting door having a fire-protection rating of not less than 20 minutes, will be permitted in lieu of a one-hour fire door assemble. Doors shall be provided with gasket so installed as toprovide a seal where the door meets the stop on both sides and across the top.Fire dampers are not required in air ducts provided ducts within garage are

Thanks Larry;

I didn’t realize they had wood frames fire rated.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :cool:

You’re welcome…I’m pleased I could return some of your fine assistance. :smiley: :wink:

not to drift but does anyone know what the rating for a pull down stair unit is?

Bruce,

I am sure I will be flamed for it…but I will give you what I know in MY mind to be true…

1.) If the space over the garage is not seperated from the rest of the house it will require a 1 hr rating. You can get ceiling pull downs in a 1 hr fire rating as that would need it IF the ceiling above is open into the other part of the dwelling.

2.) If you have a fire rated seperation between the normal dwelling part and the garage space then I would be suspect most will install a normal pull down door…however on the ones we install we cover them with 5/8" drywall.

Others may have more information for you…