Garage nterior door to house

Originally Posted By: jane molina
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

If a Garage nterior door [fire rated door] has a hollow core door without

and metall clad on the garage side and a 3feet by 2 feet window in it , isn’t

this a safety hazrd? should be 1 hour rated solid correct.

Jane.

Originally Posted By: jpope

A hollow core door will have a listing stamp on it if it is fire rated. Typically, fire rated doors can not have windows or pet doors in them.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jane molina

Thanks Jeff .

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

anyone know where that rule is that I heard discussed about auto-closers on garage/house doors? I was talking about this with guys from my state org. and they never heard of it.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: tallen

Fire doors at garages are required to auto close . At leaste where I live.

Hmmm, I just tried to look up a reference code but I can not find one. HELP!

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: psisler

Fire doors are to be solid if constructed of wood and be rated if metal. All to be in the one hour rating. The hinges that are attached to the door are spring loaded so that they close after they are opened by themselves to suit that purpose. These hinges can be obtained from virtually any hardware or home center. There should be at least one of these type hinges on the door for it to operate functionally.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick icon_biggrin.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

psisler wrote:
Fire doors are to be solid if constructed of wood and be rated if metal. All to be in the one hour rating. The hinges that are attached to the door are spring loaded so that they close after they are opened by themselves to suit that purpose. These hinges can be obtained from virtually any hardware or home center. There should be at least one of these type hinges on the door for it to operate functionally.

Patrick

ok...where did you find this info? what source? I need to know if it's a requirement in all states or just a few.

Thanks,

Kevin

--

Originally Posted By: psisler

Kevin,

Check your state/county codes.

Patrick

oh…I thought you had a source you were quoting from.

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

The IRC requires the house/garage door to be solid wood not less than

1 3/8 inch in thickness, solid honeycomb core steel not less than 1 3/8 inch

thickness or a 20 minute fire rated door. There is no requirement for the door to be self-closing. Check with your local building department to see if self closers are required or not. Ask them for the local code reference that requires them.

Russell G. Cloyd

Intra-Spec Home Inspections

& Code Consulting, LLC

859-586-4591

www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Russel is right that for new construction the current IRC only requires a 20 min door (1-3/8" solid min) and there is no self closing requirement. A plain hollow core wood door can’t meet the 20 min fire rating.

Fire doors for commercial/industrial buildings must be self-closing according to the IBC, but that does not apply to residential buildings.

Note that my state (NY) changed the fire rating to require a 3/4-hour rated self-closing door. There is some talk about amending the IRC to add the self-closing door requirement.

I think it's a good idea in general to have self-closing fire doors, but some say it's not likely for a residential garage door to be left open, and they have a point.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

So where did this self-closing rumor get started? People gotta watch what they post on here I guess. I honestly took it as a requirement when I first heard about it. Local codes don’t really have alot of relevance on a National forum.

kmcmahon wrote:
I honestly took it as a requirement when I first heard about it.

Verify everything for yourself ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

I guess that’s why Patrick mentioned to check local codes. I have always recommended that the self closing hinges be installed as a safety feature,and I was taught that it is a requirement here in Tucson. Monday I will find out for sure. My bad icon_redface.gif I guess it is a good thing I never reported that they MUST be installed.

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jpope

- regardless of when the home was built. I mark this recommendation as a category (4) in my report which means - “This item is a safety hazard, corrections are necessary.”

I was taught that this is a requirement in CA but I've never checked the reference. In any event, I would not change my recommendation. It just seems to make sense to me ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

icon_wink.gif

This link has more info on ICC adoptions for each state ... CLICK HERE

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Quote:
Local codes don't really have alot of relevance on a National forum.

Every AHJ decides what code they use, so the codes are not truly national. The recommendation for a auto closer should still be made as this is a safety hazard.

Real life scenario: Mom is leaving to take the 5 year old to t-ball. She turns on the car in the garage, and goes to push the button on the visor to open the door. Before she does, the boy gets sick everywhere. She gets him out, takes him inside, without turning the car off, and the door does not shut. She takes his temperature, he keeps getting sick. She calls the doc, looks for his insurance info, and decides maybe a bath will help. She gets him in the bath, cleans him. He is crying. But feels better being comforted. She realizes t-ball is out. So she gets him ready for bed.

Fast forward an hour to dad coming home finding them barely alive in his sons bed. They both eventually recovered but nearly died of CO exposure which at least would have been delayed if there was an auto close. Let alone the fire protection.

My question to all of you. If having an auto close is not a requirement but can save their life anyhow, and you know this as the "expert", how can you not tell them about the option at least?

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

The 1/2 inch of ordinary (not type X) gypsum required to separate the garage from the house and attic area is by no means a fire-wall. This term is improperly used in this forum on a routine basis. A fire wall is structurally independent of construction on either side of it, usually has a 2 hour or higher fire rating and penetrates all levels of construction up to and including the roof deck (with a few exceptions). It must also have fire-rated opening protectives which are not required in a residence.

In a residential setting it is highly unlikely that the garage/house door will be left open and unsecured. Also, it is quite a nuisance to have the door slam shut each time you go through it to get another bag of groceries from the car. Self closers are a matter of taste (not a bad idea) but were not seen as necessary by the experts who draft the national codes.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: tlempe

The IRC and UBC codes for self closing garage doors are on IRC 309.1 and UBC 302.4x