Question for all you boiler tech's...

Hi Guys,

Burnham Boiler +/-15years - lots of rusting at exposed boiler components.

Can anyone explain what’s actually going on here; I know how I write it up, but I’d like to know what you guys would see once you actually open this thing up? Is the discoloration just a heat thing or a heat with dripping water thing, etc? BIG JOB vs. little job?

Thanks in advance.
Jimmy

It is a Improper flame ( heat thing) i would say burner is not set right or combustion problem. Improper nozzle possible

Looks like a water leak to me dripping on a hot surface

Is the house on a well, looks like what I see alot with high iron in the water.
If it is on a well with high iron, that and lack of maintenance will shorten the life expectancy.
Also looks like flame roll out on the cabinet.

That Burnham boiler is common in my area and it looks like prior leaking from the tankless coil water heater flange dripping down onto the cast iron. Was the gasket at the flange deteriorated or corroded? Also smoke release from the inspection port. To me it is a sign of poor maintenance over time; Write what you see and recommend the boiler be serviced. The exterior rust does not bother me as long as the problems that caused the rust/soot have been solved. Looks ugly but if serviced will not affect operation. By the way did you comment on the mixing valve (hot water) having the corroded fittings?

Heat break out marks and rust from failed refractory chamber!
http://www.insulation.org/articles/article.cfm?id=IO090203

Thanks for the responses guys.
Hey Mark - covered it, but it was nothing compaired to some of the other actual leaks. Lots of corrosion going on…