Question from an Aspiring Home Service Provider

I would like to start a part time home service business. Initially I’ll offer handyman services and then offer home inspections when I transition to full time.

I think the two services complement each other and offer income diversity in times of low demand for either service. Obviously I would never perform repairs of defects I identify in an inspection.

Have you or do you know anyone who has had success (or failure) with this business model?

Any insight on this topic is appreciated.

I do renos still to this day when it is slow. I have two separate companies and I never cross them. It works for me and 100’s of others so why not you as well.

Keep the businesses separate to avoid conflict of interest, you can’t fix the defects you find on inspection until 12 months after the inspection.

“The InterNACHI member shall not perform or offer to perform, for an additional fee, any repairs or associated services to the structure for which the member or member’s company has prepared a home inspection report for a period of 12 months. This provision shall not include services to components and/or systems that are not included in the InterNACHI Standards of Practice.”