Question mark

Inspected a house yesterday and while I was on the roof, which was 15 years old and in great condition, I noticed that there wasn’t any roof vents. There were soffit vents around the eaves, but no roof vents, gable vents, etc. The attic was in excellent condition, with no venting evident on the original plywood sheathing ( I thought maybe they were covered up for some reason during a re-roof). Anyway, I was wondering, can anyone give me some helpful insight? I’ve seen many house with inaddequate/blocked insulation with the normal telltales, however, this roof & attic were in great shape. A sealed system. like newer crawls?
BTW, the house was built in '59 and there was only insulation on the floor of the attic. Any help would be much appreciated.

Enjoy the weekend! It’s 8:15am here in Ohio, that’s plenty of time to help a brother out, before football starts!

Hard to believe it looked good after 15 years with no venting Josh…what color was the roof ???

That’s what I kept (keep) telling myself.

Tan/copper color

that’s funny…I have seen a few under vented white roofs that managed to hold up for a while possibly due to more reflection than heat absorption, but i sure would expect the roof you are describing to be showing signs of heat damage by 15 years…guess I’m no help on this one…jim

Around here, with no vents, you’d pass out after 5 minutes in the attic!

Total NFVA from the continuous soffit ventilation can still perform both intake and exhaust due to air flowage direction.

I don’t recall if it was a Rose and Tenewold paper or one by Lstirbruk, but the preferance stated would be to have more intake ventilation if necessary, rather than more exhaust ventilation.

Ed

Back in May 1992 JLC article, Bill Rose said:
“In fact, if a roof had to have only one vent device, I would opt for soffit vents- they perform well as either intake or exhaust ports…”