Question Re: Dryer Vent, Laundry Vent and Roof Penetration

Originally Posted By: Eric Housh
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can someone take a look at this for me? An inspector found the following issue in my house and recommended it be remedied. I contacted another inspector and he indicated that it was not a code violation at all. I have tried researching building codes online but to no avail.

The issue: Dryer Exhaust vent and Laundry Room Exhaust fan Vent share the same roof penetration, but NOT the same ducting.

A picture is linked below. thank you for any assistance you can offer.

[ Image: Dryer Vent and Laundry Exhaust.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

From the picture you posted it looks ok. What does the penetration look like on the roof?

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

Are these possibly terminating just below a roof vent? If that is the case they are not vented to the outside. This would be wrong.

Home inspectors cannot enforce building codes but are more concerned with what is in the best interest of their client. Codes should not be ignored but should be used as a guideline of what is acceptable.

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: jpope

The dryer vent should have a back-draft damper. It is unlikely that there is one given the shared penetration.

Exhaust vents are usually screened. Dryer vents must not be screened.

Vertical dryer vents require periodic maintenance when they're installed correctly. When installed incorrectly, they can quickly become a potential fire hazard.

My suggestion - Route the exhaust vents to the same location, isolate the dryer vent and be sure it is not screened and has an operational back-draft damper.

Secondly - When posting pictures, you may want to consider removing personal/identifying information that may be intended, or required by law, to be confidential.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff makes excellent points Eric, but the picture and the information given are not enough to make a call either way. Do you have any more info? Exactly what were you told to do/fix/remedy/etc?

Thanks to everyone for their inputs and expertise. The inspector offered no suggested remedy to the situation, instead indicating that the dryer vent and laundry exhaust vent simply could not share the same roof penetration. I interpreted this to mean that I was going to have to possibly pay someone to poke another hole in my roof.

No further comments were recorded from the inspector (i.e. no mention of back draft dampers, screens, or ducts terminating below a roof vent). The inspector was extremely thorough, so I imagine if one of those issues were present, he'd have found it.

It sounds like vertical dryer vents are a safety / maintenance issue, but the mere fact that the vent shares a penetration with the laundry fan exhaust vent should not be a cause for immediate concern, so long as routine maintenance is performed on the vent opening (cleaning and removal of lint).

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Quote:
should not be a cause for immediate concern, so long as routine maintenance is performed on the vent opening (cleaning and removal of lint).

When I find anyone that will climb on the roof to do maintenance I'll eat your hat! NO ONE does maintenance!

I re-inspect house after house that Recommended Maintenance was called 0ut and never done. ![eusa_wall.gif](upload://hILV5Z8gRVLwzVpRIDJEm01uB52.gif)

Eric 99% of the dryer vents in the Phoenix area are verticle for at least some of their run. As for maintainence that is double edged sword, I have seen many a dryer vent that some “handyman” tried to snake and poked a hole in the vent in the attic.

If that is all the detail they have given you it is not enough to know how to proceed. Now if you were to look on the roof you might get some idea.

Originally Posted By: Michael D Thomas

Eric,

Does the exhaust through the roof look something like this:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/VENTS.jpg

only with two connections?

Michael,

I haven’t gotten up in to the attic to inspect it that closely. The only picture I have is the one above.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Jeff,

I learn more from you, for free, in an average day than any man has a right to.

Thanks for being a voice of reason in a sea of madness!

Originally Posted By: jpope

icon_wink.gif

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: roconnor

, the entire dryer exhaust system (flex, duct, and vent) would have to be completely separate from any other vent or exhaust.

In addition to the backdraft damper, many are surprised that current model codes only allow 8' max of listed flex (not the white stuff) to connect the dryer to the exhaust ducts, and that the exhaust ducts needs to be at least 28 gauge rigid metal with smooth interior surfaces and joints in the direction of flow.

If you are looking for a code quote, see 2003 IRC M1501.1 ... local codes may vary, which should be available to read at the library or local building department.

Just my 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong